• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting up via wifi prior to activating with ATT

Pondering

Sep 15, 2011
Does setting up a new N5 via wifi and then installing a SIM later cause any problems? If it means anything in this regard, I'll be going with the ATT mobile share plan as soon as I can get into my local ATT store; but its going to be a couple of days before I can do so.

when you insert the sim the phone will tell you to reboot. I think when it turns back on the apn settings page will come up and you have to enter the apn info. If it doesn't you can go into the phone settings to enter it. You get the apn info from the phone carrier's website (in my case it was straight talk with an AT&T sim).

I set up wifi days before I even had my sim card so I know that should not cause any issues.

Reactions: Pondering
Upvote 0
when you insert the sim the phone will tell you to reboot. I think when it turns back on the apn settings page will come up and you have to enter the apn info. If it doesn't you can go into the phone settings to enter it. You get the apn info from the phone carrier's website (in my case it was straight talk with an AT&T sim).

I set up wifi days before I even had my sim card so I know that should not cause any issues.

I think that may only apply for MVNOs. I've never had to set up apn numbers for AT&T, nor did I have to do it when I briefly tried T-Mobile and then Switched back to AT&T. Both with AT&T and T-Mobile, I only ever had to slip in the sim card and reboot. That's my experience anyway.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all. While lengthy due to porting numbers from multiple phones, process was smooth at the att store. Did not have to mess with APN...factory defaults worked. Now up and running with this awesome phone.

Of course, getting ready to unlock the boot loader... but that will be a topic for a different post ... hopefully not one crying for help!

Upvote 0
Thanks to all. While lengthy due to porting numbers from multiple phones, process was smooth at the att store. Did not have to mess with APN...factory defaults worked. Now up and running with this awesome phone.

Of course, getting ready to unlock the boot loader... but that will be a topic for a different post ... hopefully not one crying for help!

Glad everything worked out! Good luck on unlocking! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones