• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting up VPN on my Captivate

Im struggling to setup my VPN from my home server to my Captivate. Basically I want to be able to access my server music files while im on the go. Ive never done this before and there seems to be a lot of VPN assistance out there but nothing really that is in a 'do-this, do-that' format for a newbie at it.

First off: What type of VPN do I want to use?
PPTP?
L2TP?
L2TP/IPSec PSK?
L2TP/IPSec CRT?

I dont understand the differences, but I can successfully connect to my server through PPTP but only when Im connected to my network and I dont know how to actually see any files on the server from the phone.

As mentioned, I can see my Media Center VPN Server Connection while on network but dont know how to access the files (or one specific music folder) that I want. Does this require a separate app? Also, how do I connect from OTA when I am not connected to my network through wifi? Do I need a special program for my server? Right now it is only setup to allow incoming VPN connections in the network settings. Any help would be appreciated!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones