Setting USB to charge onlySupport

Last Updated: 2013-09-15 15:44:16
  1. bdub2013

bdub2013 New Member

Hello, how do I set my Galaxy S4 so that when I connect to PC using USB I can select Charge Only. I like to plug it into PC at work and listen to music without draining the battery, but employer blocks data connections. Don't want to climb under desk to plug in charger. Previous phone, HTC Inspire, had Charge Only option. Thanks for your help!

Advertisement
  2. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the new Android OS. Our choices have been gimped by Google to MTP/PTP when connecting to the PC. Your device is charging anyway, but the consumption while the screen is on may be matching or beating the trickle of a 500ma USB port.
  3. bdub2013

bdub2013 New Member

Hi, thank you for your quick response. My question was not whether it was charging, but how to set it to charge only so I don't incur the wrath of my IT dept. at work. They have programs that identify it as connecting to data, and send me nasty grams. I don't know what gimped, MTP/PTP or 500ma mean.
  4. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

5. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

500ma is one half of an amp, the power available at most USB ports, and the suggestion was being made that if your screen is on that might not keep the battery charged.