{Setting Your Own Ringtone} For Text MessagesSupport

Last Updated:

1. gtd3

gtd3 Well-Known Member

Has anybody figured out how to setup your own ringtone to play when you receive a text message?

2. create "alarms", "notifications", and "ringtones" folders inside the "music" folder.
    make sure they're in mp3 format.
    LifeguardSteve likes this.
  3. gtd3

gtd3 Well-Known Member

And I asume I have to connect it to a pc to do that. Right?
  4. Huey Freeman

Huey Freeman Well-Known Member

Go into messaging and then select menu.. there should be a setting s option and there u can change ur ringtone.

The same goes for any other notification except for IM, it looks like..
  5. Jake

Jake Active Member

This Will work on a PC or Mac.
    Super simple guys, this was actually solution i was looking for:

Simply Plug in your G1
    open the Music folder that is already created
    add these 3 folders in there:

Drop the Mp3's in here and they will be available to you when changing up your sounds notification preferences.:D

Attached Files:

6. gtd3

gtd3 Well-Known Member

that sounds more like it. as soon as i try it i will post the outcome here. Thanx
  7. gtd3

gtd3 Well-Known Member

Never Mind . didnt work
  8. honugirl

honugirl Active Member

Ya it didn't work. I put the seperate folders in the music folders and everythingis in music when viewing songs. Is it suppose to be like that?
  9. The Kartman

The Kartman Member

Download the rings exended app, then you can select any mp3 file for ringtones or message alerts.
    blackcrystalc likes this.
  10. turbo2ltr

turbo2ltr Member

I know the OP was about message notifications, but in case anyone missed it, you can select any song as a ring tone by playing it in the player and hitting the menu button and "set as ringtone".

The rings extended works well and allows you to select an mp3 as ringtones or alerts right from the settings menu.
  11. Jake

Jake Active Member

Thats strange
    I did not do anythig special other than the instructions I gave, and I have custom sounds for my email, text and ringer... Sorry it didn't work :confused:
  12. sleebus.jones

sleebus.jones Well-Known Member

FYI, they don't have to be .mp3, .wav works fine too. .aif doesn't though.
  13. JuggaloZyle

JuggaloZyle New Member

Even though its an old thread I figured I'd answer for whoever searches for this...

To set the text message tone you put the music file into the "notifications" folder;)

14. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

if you download "ringo" you can set individual SMS tones for individual people.
  15. fikester1

fikester1 New Member

you don't make the new folders in the music folder. You create a folder called media, then audio, then notifications. put you stuff there and it will show up in the list for message notifications. you can make a separate folder for alarms and ringtones here if you like, however my particular focus was notifications.

plug your G1 into your computer. create on your SD card media >> audio >> notifications

put your custom ringtones for your G1 here. there are different ways to access notifications. for text messages, go to the home menu, flip up the apps menu, select messages, click the menu button, scroll down to the notifications section, click ringtones, select the ringtone you've put into the notifications folder you created above.

seriously? this is how you have to do it? yes, this how you have to do and it only took me 5 hours to figure it out. really? stupid.
    int15 likes this.
  16. brinal1

brinal1 New Member

This worked great for me. I used Linda File Manager and did it. Thanks so much. :D
  17. kaykream

kaykream New Member

how to use this? :confused:
  18. notag1

notag1 New Member

I was getting so frustrated trying to get my favorite (R2D2 Scream) ringtone to work with SMS notifications. One extra folder on the SDcard is worth it!
  19. Ettson

Ettson New Member

EASY WAY ALERT-You just go and download "Rings Extended" then go to your messages press menu and press settings then it will give you options press Rings Extended then it will give u more options and then pic Music then just pick the song you what as your message notification.THIS IS WAY EASIER THAN THE GO ON COMPUTER BS.
    hiya777 and hawaiianfro like this.
  20. -Deszibabyy

-Deszibabyy New Member

Thiss worked just finee when i downloaded it. This is much faster & easier as well. :)
  21. crebo143

crebo143 New Member

Doesn't seem to work on HTC Sensation.
  22. quan_dro319

quan_dro319 New Member

At First i made Just A Notifications Folder But It Disappeared And Then I Tried Again And It Worked Beautifully Thanks For The Tip!
  23. hawaiianfro

hawaiianfro Member

this program works like a charm ty so much
  24. Javee123

Javee123 New Member

Simply connect your device to a computer, it will askdo u want to open folder to view files. Click yes. After you can see all the files that are on your device, scroll until you find a folder titled "My Document". This is the folder. Your computer wont let you open this folder so don't attempt. Now find the mp3 or wav file you want to use for a text ringtone and right click and press copy. then right click on the my documents folder on your phone and press paste. Detach phone and go to text messages and press menu then settings then down to select ringtone. you should now see your file.

thank me later!!!

Follow me @i_amJavee
  25. blackcrystalc

blackcrystalc New Member

THANK YOU!!!!! for showing me something that works