• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Settings app missing after update

appletree

Lurker
Nov 16, 2011
Hi,

I have have an HTC Desire S with the standard HTC software (not rooted). I accepted the most recent update from HTC which came through a day or two ago. After the update, my settings app was missing. If I select settings from the button with the three horisontal lines it tells me "The linked program is no longer installed on your phone". I have attempted a factory reset (lost all my personal data), but the settings app is still misssing. What can I do to get my phone back to normal?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks!

If you can find an RUU for the software number on the phone, you can attempt installing it yourself. All current OTA stock ROMs have RUUs available. Only install over the same software number or upgrade to a higher version of your ROM.

Menu > Settings > About phone > Software information > Software number

Upvote 0
Hi,

I was away for about 2 weeks, so sorry for the long delay in replying. I am not a "power user" so I do not understand all that you said. What does RUU stand for? Anyway, getting the software number requires the settings app, which is what I do not have. There is supprisingly little I can do with the phone if I cannot access settings!

I still have no idea how to fix this. Can I send it back to HTC to re-flash it? I do not want to "root" the phone or anything like that - I just want the thing to work again the way it did when I got it. And to me it seems as if HTC "broke" it anyway.

Regards.

Upvote 0
Anyway, getting the software number requires the settings app, which is what I do not have. There is supprisingly little I can do with the phone if I cannot access settings!

Ah, of course!

Yes, you can send it back to HTC or your carrier (if you got the phone via them). They'll re-flash it.

Flashing an RUU would do the same thing, but you need to know which one to flash, which might not be available to you. The unbranded RUUs for all updates are available, though.

One way to see find out which software version you have is by checking the HBOOT version. (You won't be able to do this if you have Fastboot turned on via Settings!)

Power off your phone > Then turn on your phone by holding the 'volume down' button while pressing the power button > You should see a white screen which will display your HBOOT version at the top > Select Fastboot then Reboot to switch the phone back on again.

However, if you have the latest update (Sense 3.0) on a *branded* phone, then it's probably going to be better to send it in to be reflashed as finding a branded RUU for the latest update may not be that easy. You may not want to do it anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones