Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications - "Computing..." takes a while.

Last Updated:

1. abourne

abourne Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Settings --> Applications ---> Manage Applications

It always states "Computing" for quite some time at this point.

This is where I fear that if I interupt this process, or force quit, leave, etc. It may re-name my programs or mess something up.

I'm doing

Settings --> Applications ---> Manage Applications --> PC Syncronization --> and tapping "Stop Now"

as discussed in this post:

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/11588-get-rid-htc-sync-notification.html#post133756

Advertisement
  2. BSki

BSki Well-Known Member

Was there a question in there somewhere?

3. abourne

Questions:

Why does this take so long?

What's happening when it's Computing?

Is it not a good idea to interupt this process while it's in "Computing" mode?

Before the firmware update, I had a problem with Applications and Programs being re-named. Is it possible that interupting the "Computing Process" will re-name the programs? Or was that possibly an older firmware issue?

It appears that going through this process:

Settings --> Applications ---> Manage Applications --> PC Syncronization --> and tapping "Stop Now"

to get to "Stop PC Sycronization" will have to go through this "Computing Process" time.

Correct?

Is there are more direct shortcut to "Stop PC Syncronization" as discussed in this thread?

4. BSki

BSki Well-Known Member

I assume it is computing how much space the application is taken up in memory when it says "Computing"

It takes so long because there is a lot of computing to do.

I don't think Google would release an OS, that allows you to click home or back away from "computing" if that caused problems. If there was a problem with navigating away from that window while it was computing, they could have easily disabled those buttons.

You may want to read about what the firmware fixed. The names were mentioned specifically.

Is it that much of a burden to see the HTC Sync when you are connected to a USB device that this is an issue? And you only have to do that once per power cycle. So just do it once, and don't restart your phone and you will be fine.

I see no way to make a shortcut to this. Maybe a task killer could kill the PC Sync. I don't use task killers so I can't test it.

5. abourne