1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Settings changed / options disabled suddenlySupport

1. Caridroid

Caridroid New Member

Hey all!

Hoping you can help me with a really annoying issue!

Last week my battery died & I charged the phone overnight and turned it on the next day to find it had gone haywire.

The issues I had were:
    Contacts deleted
    Text messages deleted
    Gallery & other media fine
    Apps were fine
    I could not connect to the internet other than through Wifi
    I could make calls but not receive
    Other settings such as sound / vibrate / home screen & screen lock were all changed.

So I contacted my service provider who gave me a new sim card and this worked fine. I changed my settings back to what they were previously however two days later out of the blue my screen went black and froze for a few seconds and now I am having the exact same problems again!

I have been unable to get the slide to unlock the screen functioning again and my home key & power button will unlock it resulting in me ringing random people when its in my pocket! The power button no longer gives a list of options such as sound / flight mode / keypad lock it will literally just turn off the phone and nothing I have done will change this!

Has anyone ever experienced this? Anything I could try before sending it in to be repaired? Its past its warranty so I would'nt be covered whatever is wrong with it!

Many thanks!
    Caridroid

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

If something in the system has become corrupt a factory reset might help, but what you are describing sounds like memory about to fail.
  3. Caridroid

Caridroid New Member

Thanks for getting back to me. When you say the memory is about to fail what exactly do you mean?
    The reason I ask is that I got this problem sorted (literally plugged it into laptop for 2 seconds!) however it happened again a couple of weeks later only this time I cannot get into the galary / camera etc with the error msg "not enough memory delete some items".
    Firstly, I don't think the memory is full as last time I checked I had over 50% remaining. Secondly, I have since deleted some apps and this has made no difference.

I'm just wondering whether to bother buying external memory or if there is a problem with the phone anyway.

I should also add that I cannot back the files up as they cannot be read by Samsung Kies / Windows storage device. I don't want to try a factory reset and risk losing all my photos if I can help it!!

Thank you!
    CD
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

When I say failed memory, I mean physically damaged. Any electronic component has the potential to stop working and when memory goes it can either fail catastrophically (as in simply stops working) or begin to degrade slowly.

Can you put your phone in USB storage mode and copy your personal files (photos, music, etc.) off the phone and backup to a PC? If you can, then a reset is certainly worth trying.

One other question ... is your phone rooted? The reason I ask is that odd behavior can happen if you are running a version of Android not specifically compiled for your phone model.
  5. Caridroid

Caridroid New Member

Hey, thanks for getting back to me so fast!

The phone hasn't been rooted or modified in any way but another day brings another phone personality and everything is working perfectly now, no more memory errors or other issues!
    I'm going to try back up while the going is good and then I'll try a factory reset. Might be no harm to buy additional memory anyway.
    Fingers crossed this resolves the issues, thanks for your help!