Settings QuestionGeneral

Last Updated:

1. cheerless

cheerless Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all, dont flame me, tried the search but it is obviously smarter than I am. What happens if I disable "always on mobile network" What does that really do?
    Thanks in advance,
    :confused:
    Chris

Advertisement
  2. jkmailley

jkmailley Well-Known Member

Don't be afraid to ask questions....

Here is a thread with your answer.

Some people opt to turn this feature off to save on battery life. Mine is off and I still get email, txt, phone calls and updates to my social networks & weather. Each one of those have their own refresh rate. Currently my phone will last 2 days without being recharged.

cheerless and Bishop like this.
  3. bradrobster@gmail.com

bradrobster@gmail.com Active Member

Good points, I only get the mail, social networks and weather with mobile networks off while I am attached to my wifi at home. Even with it off and you cant attach to wifi, you still can get phone and texts like jkmailley said. You just have to remember that when you go out, you have to turn back on mobile network. I really don't think its a big deal to do it like that. I added a toggle button on my home screen to make it easier and if you forget, the app will usually tell you that it can't attach to the network.

I also read a tip the other day that leaving wifi on all the time will save your battery too. I am not sure why, but it seems to really be working to increase my battery life. I have the 1750 extended battery and I can last all day and still be at over 60% in the early evening.

4. lilbballer27

lilbballer27 Well-Known Member

So if you turn mobile network off and leave your wifi off you can still get texts and phone calls like normal?

5. bradrobster@gmail.com

Yes, with mobile network and wifi off, you can still get phone and texts.

6. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Wifi uses less power than 3G, so if you leave wifi on and you are in an area with wifi available, the phone will override 3G and use wifi, which will be less taxing on the battery. When I'm at home, I turn on wifi, and turn off mobile.

bradrobster@gmail.com likes this.
  7. bradrobster@gmail.com

Ok, thanks..thats good to know and thats what I do since I work out of the house most days anyway. I thought I had read that somewhere in all the millions of posts but it's getting harder go keep track of everything you read in here now. Even with the sticky, the replies are getting into the hundreds.

8. lilbballer27

Thats crazy if someone wouldnt mind to expalin how that works or what mobile network actually is if you can turn it off and still get calls and texts. I am going to start doing this.

9. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Mobile networking (3G) and Wifi both give you access to the internet. This allows you to get email, browse the web and use applications that access the net. Phone calls and text messaging use the CDMA (1X) network, and thus is not affected by turning off 3G and wifi.

If you really want to be aggressive with saving battery life, then you can turn off wifi and mobile networking, and still be able to make/take call, and get/send text messages.

10. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

mobile network is basically your phones internet connection. Anything that would show up as "data" on your bill will require mobile network. MMS, internet, browsing the market, apps that stream data (scores, music, etc) all use mobile network. If you turn it off and don't have an alternate source for connection(wifi) the you will not be able to do any of that.

11. lilbballer27

Thank you everyone! Didnt mean to be a pain the butt and take this guys thread with my own questions, but im sure it was helpful to all. So thanks again!

12. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^

lol