• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help several problems since 2.3.5 upgrade

flossiemoo

May 31, 2011
I downloaded the update onto my Vodafone branded DHD about a month ago and at first all seemed well (though I find dragging that blooming ring an unneccessary faff) but now it has started to:

force close the phone randomly - or just switches off by itself
the phone can ring but I am unable to answer it
the phone takes a lot longer to reboot - 1 min frozen on the vodafone start up screen, then about 2 mins of no reception/service, then phone asks for time update, and many apps have the standard Android icon
clicking on some apps zooms out to that 'all pages' view
clicking on some apps opens others
clicking on some apps opens their page in the market, not the actual app.

The battery is also even worse than it was before, which I didn't think actually possible.

Anyone had similar?

I rang Vodafone who told me to download the update again via my computer using a wire which I can't find a way to do.

Thanks.
(please bear in mind in any advice that I'm a bit of a luddite and talk of rooting and such like sends me into a spin!)

You can't download the update again via official means, but you can run something called an RUU which is an exe run on the PC. It will wipe the phone clean though.

The call issue can be solved by unlinking the handset from your facebook account, then re linking.

Given the amount of issues you're having, have you thought about a factory reset?

Upvote 0
Reset is scarier than it sounds.

Connect your phone to your pc first and back up all your photos, videos, music etc there. Your contacts should back up to you google account but you'll need to check and transfer from phone/ sim to google if you haven't already set your account as the default location for contacts....good to to this anyway. Your apps will be still linked to your market account so should redownload once you log in again after the reset.

Essentially then all you will lose is any customisation...think of how it came out of the box.

Always worth downloading Google+ as then you can auto back up your photos to your google account as you take them or periodically.

Upvote 0
Sorry to be so dim - but I transferred a lot of my stuff to my SD card. How do I get them back?

The SD card is half full so that hasn't been erased... how do I access them??

Pics etc should be accessible from your SD card the same way they were on internal memory....if you can't see them try an app like SD Card Reader.

As for texts....sorry to hear you wanted to hold on to them. I'm afraid they are gone unless you had previously backed them up with an app? :( SMS Back up & Restore will back up any future ones to your google account for you.

Hopefully the reset has sorted out all your issues though?

Upvote 0
So far so good on the original problems - just taking me forever to find/remember my apps.

I had SMS Go pro installed and saved and backed up to my SD card so I can't understand where they've gone.

How does one see what is on your SD card? As I say, half of my 15gb card is full so the apps and stuff are surely still on there.

Upvote 0
El Pres - just a suggestion...

As the question of preserving phone contents prior to performing a factory reset comes up so often, I'm wondering whether there could be a new sticky thread to cover this. I'm not suggesting you write a long and detailed post, although I realise you've done this in the past, but more a repository for all useful suggestions such as using SMS Backup & Restore to make a copy of all text messages.

I'm not sure whether it would be DHD-specific or could cover all Android phones.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
So far so good on the original problems - just taking me forever to find/remember my apps.

I had SMS Go pro installed and saved and backed up to my SD card so I can't understand where they've gone.

How does one see what is on your SD card? As I say, half of my 15gb card is full so the apps and stuff are surely still on there.

If you've signed in on your phone using your previous Google account, you should be able to go to the Android market/My apps and see everything you previously had installed. If this proves problematic, try signing into the Android market on your normal computer. My understanding is that paid apps should definitely be there and can be re-installed for free, my experience is that free apps sometimes get lost but, as you say, it's just a case of remembering them and re-downloading.

I don't know SMS Go, but I presume you'll need to re-install it before you can access the back-ups and reinstate the lost messages.

If I were you, I'd make a copy of your micro SD card on your computer before you go much further, just in case.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
El Pres - just a suggestion...

As the question of preserving phone contents prior to performing a factory rest comes up so often, I'm wondering whether there could be a new sticky thread to cover this. I'm not suggesting you write a long and detailed post, although I realise you've done this in the past, but more a repository for all useful suggestions such as using SMS Backup & Restore to make a copy of all text messages.

I'm not sure whether it would be DHD-specific or could cover all Android phones.

That's a pretty good idea actually. Even if it doesn't get read to start with, it'll give everyone something to link back to if it gets asked in future. I'll knock something up over the weekend.

Upvote 0
Sorry to be pea-brained!

Yes, all my apps are there on my PC - so I shall now reinstall them - many many thanks.

I went to B&R section of Go SMS and it says there's no backup - even though I know I had done one. Oh well. In the grand scheme of things, it's not the end of the world!

(also, apologies for asking the same questions as no doubt many others have!)

Upvote 0
Sorry to be pea-brained!

Yes, all my apps are there on my PC - so I shall now reinstall them - many many thanks.

I went to B&R section of Go SMS and it says there's no backup - even though I know I had done one. Oh well. In the grand scheme of things, it's not the end of the world!

(also, apologies for asking the same questions as no doubt many others have!)

Strange they are not there ....I've just backed up mine to test....gone back into restore and it's got my texts listed there. maybe an email to the developer would help?

Upvote 0
I hope you find the missing backup - maybe you can use a file explorer on your computer or phone (I really like ES File Explorer, which is free) to search for the backup file. I'd imagine it should have been placed in a sensibly named default folder (maybe "gosms" in the name?). I've had a quick look at the developer's website to see whether I could find the backup file naming convention, but it's not the easiest site to glean information from, so maybe you can email the developers from the app page in the market?

Reactions: flossiemoo
Upvote 0
Snap GG! Maybe you can help with the file name and location, so we can at least be sure that there is a backup file to recover. I did see on the dev's website that they recently introduced an update to recover "historical" backups (I think that's what it was), so is there any other way of recovering data such as importing?

Upvote 0
Oh - one other suggestion, for the future at least. Whenever I create a backup on my phone, I make sure I send a copy to my computer as well, either by email, or bluetooth, or using ES File Explorer which is network aware so can communicate with anything on my wi-fi network. Some apps, such as SMS Backup & Restore, have a menu command specifically for this purpose, which makes it all very easy.

Reactions: flossiemoo
Upvote 0
Using the SD reader I've found a gosms folder, but there's 0 files in its backup folder.

Can you check to see when the folder was created? It might well have been defined when you re-installed the app. If you really want the messages back, the next step I'd try would be to use your card reader in conjunction with a computer-based file recovery program, to see what it can find by way of deleted files which might still be recoverable. There are lots of free programs of this sort available, but one I've used with success is:
Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones