• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Several SD card questions

mjm1

Lurker
Mar 8, 2013
Recently got my phone which runs through Kodoos and cant seem to find an answer online via HTC manual?
ive browsed several SDcard threads here on the forums and none seem to be covering my problem?

in the Settings/Storage menu:

Storage card:

Total space
Unavailable

Available
Unavailable

Make more space
*light grey and cant access*

Mount storage card

Erase storage card

Storage card encryption

--------------------------------------

[Q]: Is there a way to format this SDcard?

[Q]: is there a way to change the setttings whereas pics, music ,etc, can be directly sent to the SDcard?

[Q]: how do i access the SDcard when it wont let me into the card or it shows it is unavailable?

Recently got my phone which runs through Kodoos and cant seem to find an answer online via HTC manual?
Which HTC phone do you have? Also is Kodoos your carrier? I have not heard of that before.

[Q]: Is there a way to format this SDcard?
If there is no option in the phones settings to format the sd card, you should be able to format on your computer with a card reader. If you don't have a card reader can you mount the sd card to the computer while it's inserted into the phone using your data cable?

[Q]: is there a way to change the setttings whereas pics, music ,etc, can be directly sent to the SDcard?
A lot of phones store that stuff automatically to the sd card. Without knowing which specific phone you have, it will be hard to know what options you have available for changing storage locations.

[Q]: how do i access the SDcard when it wont let me into the card or it shows it is unavailable?
If you mean on the device itsself you can use a program like ES File Explorer to browse your sd card. Otherwise you should have an option to connect with a cable to your PC or use a card reader with the computer.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Hi mjm1, and welcome to AF :)

What HTC model do you have?

I think the question of how to download music etc to SD can be addressed after we get the phone able to see the SD card. It may not even need anything else - on my old HTC Desire stuff like that is automatically stored to SD as long as one is installed.

It looks to me like the phone cannot recognise your card. Have you tried removing and reinserting it (check for dirt on the contacts while it's out)? I'm pretty sure that "erase storage card" is the format command, but as the phone has both that and "mount storage card" greyed out it looks like the phone doesn't think there's a card in there at all.

Do you have another device you can test the card in, or know someone who would let you borrow their phone for a few minutes to see whether they can read the card?

If the phone really doesn't recognise the card is there at all, and removing/cleaning/reinserting the card doesn't change this, then the best I can suggest is to get a microSD card reader and try to format it from a computer. They are pretty cheap.

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
What kind of card is it? What size is it? My understanding is HTC phones have a hard time with anything under 4Gig. The phone may not be recognizing the card for this reason. SDCARD's are fairly cheap you may wish to purchase another one and see if that one will work in the phone. If a card reader is available you can also try to check the card in windows with the command:
chkdsk x:\ /f/r
replace x with the actual drive letter. see if there is a bad file system on the card which is why the phone wont recognize it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones