Severe battery drainage!

Last Updated:

1. kaine

kaine Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all.

I'm using the battery and the charger that came with my Hero.

Last night, I took it off charge, and it was around 80% when I went to bed, and put it on my bedside table. Around midnight.

I woke up this morning at eight, and it was on critical. Granted, wifi was on, but the screen was off anyway. I put it on charge again and went back to sleep, and woke now, two hours later, and the charge was on 2 percent.

Er, dead battery or faulty phone?

Cheers guys

Advertisement
  2. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

How old is the phone? Lithium-ion batteries typically have about 300-500 cycles (full discharge/recharge) or a life of 2-3 years, which ever comes sooner. After that time it will have difficulty delivering the charge and will require more juice.

If the battery has had less than 300 cycles and is less than 2 years old it’s more likely you have some app running that is using hardware (CPU/GPS/WiFi are the hungry ones) all the time.

I would suggest to install a task killer (but don't use it aggressively) just re-boot the phone and kill any apps that don't need to be running. After that don't use the task killer just let the phone manage it's memory as it sees fit.

If you have installed an app recently try removing it to see if the problem is solved.

3. kaine

No the problem was pretty sudden, only last night. It's been fine otherwise. I'm using Advanced Task Killer and it kills every fifteen minutes of sleepage. No new apps installed, other than xScope now it's available on 1.5 + 1.6

4. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Don't use a task killer that kills very 15 mins, you're doing more harm than good. Apps then have to be re-launched into RAM using more CPU and more battery. Use a simple task killer like ES task killer. Use it once after a re-boot to kill all those apps that like to run on start-up then leave it alone and let the phone manage it's memory (it actually does it very well if left alone). The only other time I use the task killer is to kill the browser as it causes lag and doesn't have an exit button.

5. kaine

Like I said, it's no apps I've used. Taskiller included. I've found its just a faulty charger =] Cheers anyway.