Severe Camera ProblemsSupport

Last Updated:

1. Doitle

Doitle Active Member This Topic's Starter

I posted about this over in the known issues thread but I don't think it was really noticed. I was wondering if anyone is having these same problems with the Incredible camera.

When I open the camera, 6 times out of 10 I'll just get a black screen. Clicking the trackpad does nothing, nor touching the screen. The only thing that will have any effect is pressing the home key which takes me home.

If that doesn't happen then I see the normal camera view with the options on the left and the "Press trackpad to take a photo" tip. If I press the trackpad, most of the time it appears to be working correctly, focuses, does the preflash then does not flash, and takes the picture and freezes showing the photo. Again only key that works is home. I don't get the Share, trash, go to gallery buttons popping up. It just stays there frozen on the image. The image does not get saved either. :/ As such I've gotten to take 3 pictures so far with my Incredible since I got it Thursday morning.

I love this phone so much but this camera thing is a real bummer! I've tried restarting the phone several times and it did not appear to change this at all. Thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. Zozz

Zozz Well-Known Member

Try a phone hard reset.

3. Doitle

Will that cause me to lose any settings or data? It's been doing this literally since I powered it on. First thing I did after the initial setup was try to use the camera and it froze :/

4. czm2000

czm2000 Well-Known Member

Mine works great. I'v actually been quite impressed. I'm with him ^^^ Try a hard reset.

Yes, you'll lose all your settings. I suggest you invest in My BackUp Pro now. It's well worth the money.

5. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

If you continue to have issues, take it to Verizon and they should help you.

6. Zozz

Zozz Well-Known Member

Settings>privacy>factory data reset.

your apps will be gone, everything you've done is gone. Everything on your SD is fine, apps you bought can be downloaded easily. You can download Applist, this makes a notepad document on all your apps which makes it easier to remember.

7. Doitle

Hmm... I'm gonna have to think about this :/ I might just settle for the camera working as is.

8. Vihzel

Take it in to Verizon. They SHOULD help you with this. If it's that bad, I believe they will replace it.

9. Doitle

Do you expect they will give me a used replacement? :/ This really stinks. I was hoping maybe just using another camera app would help so I tried a few of the free ones from the market but the same thing happens with all of them.

10. Vihzel

Yeah. It's a phone defect and you're within your 30 data anyways. Go to them!

11. subar

subar Member

Yeah today the camera was acting weird today wihile takeong pictures it freezes and I will have to press the home button.....

12. cmantelope

cmantelope Well-Known Member

used the camera and video for the first time tonight....thought I was doing something wrong...got the black screen a couple of times, and it didn't save a pic I took...hmmmm

13. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

If you bring it to verizon THEY WILL RESET IT FIRST TO SEE IF ITS A SOFTWARE ISSUES. opps caps....

anyways, you really should try the hard reset cause they are going to make you do it anyways.

14. Doitle

Is there a good way to retain some of my settings or anything? I had to manually enter all my contacts and link them to facebook. It took like 3 hours :/

15. brettlewis

contacts should be saved with your gmail account. data can saved with several different apps like backup pro (I dont think it works on inc though)
    I dont really know other backup apps, but if others do, please share.

16. Doitle

Just performed the factory reset... We'll see what happens here when it finishes booting up...

17. brettlewis

make sure to do all the testing with your APPS uninstalled. I know sometime on hard reset my apps for some reason get auto restored.

18. Doitle

No luck :( Got to the desktop. Hit camera. First picture froze after taking it. Second time opening camera just got black screen. This really sucks...

Also: It's lucky I did the export to SD Card for my contacts because it did not save any of them to my google account. I just opened up people, there are two contacts in it. That'd be 257 contacts I'd have to reenter again just to return the phone in a day or two for a replacement...

19. brettlewis

all third party apps uninstalled? if so, go to the verizon store, they will give you a new one on the spot and make you fell really important and stuff.

20. Doitle

Even if I bought it online through the preorder? I figured I'd have to do this through Verizon on the phone.

21. jazztalker

jazztalker Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've had this problem too. After going back to the home screen & trying the camera again once or twice, it seems to work ok, but it's super annoying. I guess I'll try the hard reset too and see what happens.

22. brettlewis

if bought online it can be brought into the verizon store. just like if bought in the store, the issue can be fixed on phone. it all in the same company. However, if you were to buy it at best buy or wirefly or something, you couldn't get help from verizon for hardware issues, and bestbuy and all those other online stores take forever to fix problems. the problem may be however, that they are out of the phone in store and wont have on to give you. even if you called the 1-800 now they probably couldn't get you a fixed one till around may 7th

23. jazztalker

Yeah, I did get it from Verizon online. Is there anything they can actually DO at the store, or will they just dink around with it and then tell me something I already know (that the camera bugs out)?

24. brettlewis

they will give you a new phone. in box. maybe without battery and charger though (they only replace the broken parts). just bring all your stuff and receipt and what not. they will help.

jazztalker likes this.
  25. jazztalker

Ok, cool. Thanks!