1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

Severe GPS problems.Support

Last Updated:

1. phillyundead

phillyundead Well-Known Member

I never get an accurate location unless I'm connected to Wi-Fi. I cannot turn by turn navigate at all. I don't know if it's 4.3, the note 3 or a bug in maps but I can't use it at all other than public transit times. I'm running stock 4.3 on T-Mobile. Rooted too. Anyone else having issues? I rely on the navigation and this is kind of messing me up right now.

Advertisement
  2. PiscesCloud

PiscesCloud Well-Known Member

To check if you are receiving the satellites try 'GPS Test' from the Play Store; it shows how many satellites are being received, signal strength etc. Typically, I get half a dozen by the inner wall of our living room and a full display by the window.

Assuming you are not indoors or in an 'urban canyon', then if you do not get good signals I'd say you have a hardware fault. Take a screen shot as evidence and request a repair or replacement, under warranty, from Samsung.
  3. phillyundead

I'm using the GPS test app. It isn't getting any signal at all. I'm gonna go to the T-Mobile store and show them. I got this phone less than a month ago so maybe they'll fix it.
  4. dynomot

dynomot Well-Known Member

I would hope they replace it for you, less than a month old they should do surely.
  5. phillyundead

I'm in Philadelphia right now and the GPS is showing me in Baltimore. That's ridiculous. I'm heading to the T-Mobile store now.
  6. phillyundead

I wonder if it has anything to do with my case? I have an aluminum case on my phone.
  7. phillyundead

This is the case
  8. XiphoneUzer

XiphoneUzer Well-Known Member

So are you showing us the case, or was the case the problem? :confused:
  9. phillyundead

It won't let me upload a picture of the case. I took the case off but it's still having issues. I'm getting a replacement.
  10. XiphoneUzer

Did you notice any difference at all? See any difference using the app?
  11. phillyundead

The app only picked up GPS satellites when I was on Wi-Fi.
  12. jwither

jwither Well-Known Member

Metal cases have in the past caused GPS issues. After it's off, take the phone outside, reboot it, and run the test again.
  13. XiphoneUzer

$750 dollar devices should be tested b4 they are boxed up and shipped out.

When do you get your exchange, how did you set it up, did they believe you, or are they gonna test it first?
  14. phillyundead

They tested it in the store. It wasn't getting a clear signal on maps at all. It showed as 5 blocks away. The store are up an exchange because I have the insurance. It was passed the 2 week period but I have to go pick it up when it arrives at the store in the next week. Luckily I don't have to pay. I agree though, these things should be tested
  15. jwither

16. phillyundead

It got the job done. Only gotta wait a few days. This phone all around is bugged out. Touch Wiz always force closing. It's ridiculous
  17. jwither

You'll have the same GPS issues if you put the aluminum case back on it, and expect accurate GPS readings indoors.

Five blocks away is what I would expect from wifi location services.
  18. phillyundead

We took the case off for the tests. They were messing with it for about 30 minutes
  19. jwither

Indoors. :banghead:
  20. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Well-Known Member

They say that measuring GPS performance indoors is like showering with a raincoat on. Or something. :confused:
  21. phillyundead

I've done it out side to with out the case. No different
  22. dynomot

dynomot Well-Known Member

If your also having problems with the phone FCing I suspect you have a "lemon" that has been missed by quality control. I'm glad your getting a replacement.
  23. jwither

Thanks for clearing that up, after I mention it three times.
  24. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

so.. tmobile did not have any issues with it being rooted? or because you have insurance they let it go?

when did you root the device?
    when did the issues with GPS start???
  25. phillyundead

Sorry I never got back. The GPS issues started about a week after I got it. I rooted it a half hour after getting it. It just was a bad GPS I guess. The replacement was fine until kitkat