SGH-S730M Battery Life

1. MetalBoots

MetalBoots Member

I couldn't find this particular model, Samsung Discover, in the phones forum list. If it is indeed there I apologize and ask this thread to be moved.

My wife and I bought this phone for my father-in-law as an emergency phone. However, even when the phone is powered off the battery drains over the course of hours. We had taken the phone back to where we bought it. The salesman went through the phone and eventually replaced the battery with a new one. When the phone is on the battery drains normally. I had installed the GSAM battery app. The screen is using over 63% of the battery.

Anyone have any clues/suggestions as to what the problem could be? I had read that "fast boot" might be the cause, but can't find where to shut it off.

Advertisement
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

That's typically how an android device works. The screen always uses the most battery.

Could you maybe post a screenshot of the battery life?
  3. MetalBoots

MetalBoots Member

The battery dies with the phone OFF. While the phone is ON the battery has normal life.
  4. MetalBoots

MetalBoots Member

Anyone?
  5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

You mean, you charge it full, then turn the phone off, then it runs out battery faster than when it is turned on?
  6. MetalBoots

MetalBoots Member

Exactly!
  7. chanchan05

Does it get hot while turned off or something?
  8. MetalBoots

MetalBoots Member

No it doesn't. Could it be something to do with the sim card? I had taken the sim out a couple of days ago for used in a spare phone and the battery use was normal while off and on. After putting the sim card back in the battery power dropped 4% in just over 2 hours. My father-in-law doesn't use the phone. Maybe 6 text messages a month and he keeps it off unless he's on lunch or home in the afternoon.
  9. chanchan05

Wait, is it actually turned off or on standby? I mean if you try calling it you won't be able to connect because its turned off right?
  10. MetalBoots

MetalBoots Member

It is off. The animation runs and it turns off.
  11. Digital Controller

Do you have it plugged in when it's off?
  12. Digital Controller

How much does it drain, say over an hour when it is off?

And have you tried removing the battery for that hour then putting it back in and seeing if it had kept the charge?

And how long have you had this device?
  13. MetalBoots

MetalBoots Member

It drains about 10% per hour while off. The battery retains its charge if removed. We have had the phone for 6 weeks and it only started this problem in the last 3 weeks or so. We had this phone with a charge under our christmas tree for three weeks before doing anything with it. The charge was still good when it was opened.
  14. MetalBoots

MetalBoots Member

Took this phone back to Telus this morning. Last night I removed the sim card with the battery at 96% and it was still 96% this morning. I have no choice, but to believe that something is going on with the phone and the sim card. Somehow the phone is drawing power even though it's off and it looks like it's connected to the sim card somehow. When I get it back I'll do my best to post what they found to be the problem.

I appreciate what you did to help me out.
  15. MetalBoots

MetalBoots Member

Got the phone back this afternoon. Telus says there is nothing wrong with it. hmmm....it's still having the same problem though. I was told that since I had sent it for repair and their techs could find nothing wrong with it that I would have to send it to Samsung for repair. Further, Telus will not exchange it or do anything else. I paid $110 for this POS and I'm stuck with it. The "customer service" supervisor I spoke with refused to do/help in any way.

So there you go folks. Don't buy anything and don't be a customer of Telus. They'll f--- you right the first time and every time after that.
  16. bomas

bomas New Member

We have the same Samsung Discover S730M and also finding very limited battery life even moreso when phone totally turned off. More success in standby . Also I have loaded the "2x Battery" app and I think that may be helping.
  17. MetalBoots

MetalBoots Member

My condolences. I would suggest you turf that phone and get something better. My father-in-law is now using a Blackberry and loves it.
  18. x1745

x1745 New Member

I got this phone in Feb 2013 at Walmart for $80 and the battery running fine on standby it last 5 days and still has 40 percent left.
    I found this phone has problem with if you have data/Wifi/Bluetooth/GPS on it will drains very fast.
    The antenna on this model is not that good that's why the phone keeps searching for Cell tower, that also drain the battery faster.

I turned off Data/Wifi/GPS and Bluetooth and installed battery boosters and it helped a lot.
    I hate about this phone that the power button is on the side and is too easy to turn off.
    and last the EFS folder on this phone has been blocked and is hard to network unlock
    I searched the web and no one has successful unlock it unless you have to pay for unlock code.

for battery status type in *#0228#