• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SGS-Captivate-> crippling 'most' features -> Overlly dramatic?

ewingr

Android Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2010
www.shuttermaster.co
This article says that 'most' features are crippled on the Captivate. And says " the smartphone comes equipped with a custom Samsung Social Hub UI (sorry, no vanilla Android or beautiful Sense UI), and bloatware such as AT&T Contacts which defeats the purpose of buying a Google-developed Android smartphone." Its not a long article.

Are they being overly dramatic? Sounds like an HTC Fanboy (which I could come close to qualifying as).

But my impression is that yes, the Android Market only is an issue, albeit one that can be gotten around, and likely rooting will come along to help as well. But other than that, I am expecting the interface to be like what we've been seeing on teh videos of the Galaxy S, albeith with additional 'bloatware' on the phone. Again, something that likely can be resolved once root is here, if it bothers a person.

What's your thoughts on this?

That guy is an idiot. This is an irrelevant article because no one has used a Samsung Captivate. AT&T contacts is a SEPARATE (ie. optional to use) app that syncs your contacts with AT&T servers so if you lose your phone you don't lose your contacts. This app is also available on many AT&T dumbphones and on the Palm Pre Plus.

Upvote 0
You know? Now that you mention it, I've seen that coment about Ozcarguide before. I didn't have the common sense to look at the link:eek:

I'm so caught up in trying to decide if there is a reason I should skip the Captivate, I rushed here and posted.

I do wish it were vanilla SGS, and had the same looks.

That being said, I suspect I'll have one when they get here.

Oh...thanks for the feedback!

Upvote 0
Well when the captivate was announced I got so pissed that I ported my number to verizon that same day to wait or the droid X. I liked the fact that at&t changed the casing of the galaxy s, but the fact that they removed the front facing camera when the iphone 4 i preordered for my wife would have one was UNACCEPTABLE. This to me just shows that they have absolutely no regard for making Android competitive on their network. Heck their CEO even said so: AT&T CEO not worried about Verizon's Android position

Even though the Droid X won't have a front facing camera, I at least feel like I will have more choice in the type of powerful android phones that I could own. I just dont' understand why at&t refused to give me real choice, and I decided to respond with my wallet. They won't get my money again until they lose the iPhone exclusivity and change their tune android. Plus, now I will truly be able to see if there is any truth the whether Verizon's service is better.

Upvote 0
You can get it to look like vanilla android with ADW launcher. The only exception is the black status bar, which everyone seems to like rather than the plain white one.

Sorry I wasn't very clear. By Vanilla SGS, I meant the hardware like the original SGS, including casing, and all features that it has.

[SIGH] [/SIGH] We will always find there is not a 'perfect' phone. This phone has this, and that phone has that. Then when one comes out near perfect, the carrier has to mess with it.

I guess just need to decide on what is most important. In my case, I tend to NOT trade every whip stich. I'm on an old AT&T Tilt, and quite ready for an upgrade...but want it bleeding edge so that it will last me longer, I guess. (Of course bleeding edge means you can get cut:p)

doctajay...I feel the same way....but I'm making efforts to not make an emotional move. We'll see how it turns out. My wife is wanting to upgrade, and its looking like the iPhone 4 is what may be best for her.

Upvote 0
Samsung Captivate seems very appealing, however so does the Dell Streak, which can be bought direct from Dell unlocked, with a cleaner UI. If I can hold out, I'll try'um both out once ATT gets them on hand, then decide.

The Streak would be a good alternative for me if: a) it was smaller...I'm not a fan of phones with screens bigger than 4 inches & b) if it ran Android 2.1 and not Android 1.6.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones