• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SGS screen broken! :( Thinking of buying from Ebay- Any advice or suggestions?

goyal.sanchit

Android Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2010
India
Hello Friends

As the title says my brother's SGS fell from his pocket and the screen broke! :(

The service centre in my city says it would charge around 400$ ! Thats ridiculous. While the service centre person says he can do it outside the service centre unofficially for around 180$.

So I am thinking of buying the replacement screen from ebay which costs from 60-100$ depending upon the sellers.

So any suggestions or advice or precautions you people may want to share or anything I should be careful about?

Regards

Hello Friends

As the title says my brother's SGS fell from his pocket and the screen broke! :(

The service centre in my city says it would charge around 400$ ! Thats ridiculous. While the service centre person says he can do it outside the service centre unofficially for around 180$.

So I am thinking of buying the replacement screen from ebay which costs from 60-100$ depending upon the sellers.

So any suggestions or advice or precautions you people may want to share or anything I should be careful about?

Regards

Go to Samsung.com and register your advice. You should be under the one year warranty. After that look for the Support page and look for a link for Request Repair and yea go forth from there. Dont forget to turn pop-up blocker off when visiting that page!! It should be cheaper if you get charged.

Reactions: goyal.sanchit
Upvote 0
I recently read this guide (in Swedish) on Swedroid and it definately sounds feasible enough for me to try it myself should I ever crack the glass.

dsc0105xg.jpg

I don't have the time right now to do a full translation, but the shortened version would be something like:

1. Follow this disassembly video.
2. The screen is glued mainly at the top and bottom. Using something thin, try and pry the glass off starting from the top and work your way down. The hardened glass will break in tiny pieces so REMEMBER TO US PROTECTIVE GLASSES.
3. There is a lot of glue around the Back and Menu button sensors so be careful around here. According to some guy over at xda-developers, the glue will melt at 120 degrees Centigrade but this guy didn't dare to put a hairdryer on the phone and came out alright anyway.
4. The actual display underneath the glass is attached using doubled-sided tape and is removed in the fashion as the glass.
5. Insert the new display WITHOUT glue and reassemble the phone and start it up to see that everything works. If it does, disassemble and glue the screen in place. Don't forget the speaker grill before the glue though.

Note, that I haven't tried this myself - I'm just translating a guide from a forum!

Reactions: goyal.sanchit
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones