SGS2 Memory questionSupport

Last Updated: 2011-06-04 18:33:41
  1. bakili

bakili Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me please, why in my storage menu it shows, USB storage: total space 11.50gb: available space 11.47gb:device memory available space 1.85gb,

Should it not be usb storage 16gb, so where my 4gb memory gone?
    I did yesterday full factory reset with usb storage format, and its still same.
    As I am aware there are only two option for SGS2- 16gb and 32gb. Why mine is 12gb?

Advertisement
  2. daivik

daivik Well-Known Member

It's not just yours. The phone does have 16GB.

BUT

11.50GB is available for you to use for whatever media, music, movies, documents etc.

1.85GB - is ROM, so 1.85GB is available to install apps - more than enough! Most phones have 1GB or less.

So 11.50GB+1.85GB=13.75GB
    16GB-13.75GB=2.75GB which is used for the Android OS and Touchwiz UI.

It's a bit of a marketing thing, just so they can say it's got 16GB. Suppose there's up to 32GB SD card to increase storage.
  3. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Same on mine too (of course).

Nevertheless, it's a fair bit and if you buy a reasonable sized micro SD card, you've got more than 40GB which ought to be enough for a phone.

If you want to access more space (eg on a hard disk) you can use a USB On The Go cable to connect an external drive. The SGS2 can power a flash drive but not a rotating drive so you'll need external power for that.
  4. bakili

bakili Well-Known Member

Thanks