• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SGS2 slows down until I re-install ROM

roakes

Aug 19, 2009
Hey all,

I've had my SGS2 since May 2011 and using VillainROM as it has developed. The weird thing over the last few months has been the phone gradually slows down, I don't have a massive amount of apps installed and nothing running that should cause a slow down. It slows to the point where response to screen selections takes a second or two and even the haptic feedback slows down now and again (so instead of a quick buzz it causes a long buzz and then the next one will be OK).

The one solution I've found is to Titanium backup all of the apps and data then wipe and re-install the ROM, restore all apps and data then it's fine. The fact that I'm backing up/restoring the apps and it still being OK is another reason I don't believe it's app related, the only thing that will have changed is the full wipe and re-install of the ROM. This then lasts a couple of months in a good state before slowly getting worse again.

While this is a sure-fire solution it's also a time consuming and annoying one. So has anyone got any ideas as to what I could do to resolve this issue without a wipe?

Thanks

Russ

Certainly, for some reason even though I know it doesn't make a blind bit of difference

Well, it would if the slowdown was caused by a memory leak. If there's no improvement after a reboot then the issue is something else entirely. This is going to be a swine to troubleshoot, I can tell.... :thinking:

I don't suppose this problem's appearance coincided with a ROM or kernel update? That would be too simple, but I'm an optimist.

Upvote 0
been running VR3.0 since it was first released along with the Ninphetamine 2.0.5 kernel.

It was worth a shot. I ran that combo for a while and found it great, so I can't see it being directly related to the ROM.

One thing that has been suggested is a wipe of the cache and dalvik cache from recovery

Can't do any harm, for sure.

Upvote 0
Well after further tests it does seem that wiping the cache/dalvik cache does sort things out temporarily but only for a day or two. Another symptom is when playing music it stalls now and again, so song is playing fine, then sound cuts out then carries on again less than a second later, I would say at about the same frequency that the haptic feedback stalls as I originally mentioned.

Upvote 0
Well after further tests it does seem that wiping the cache/dalvik cache does sort things out temporarily but only for a day or two. Another symptom is when playing music it stalls now and again, so song is playing fine, then sound cuts out then carries on again less than a second later, I would say at about the same frequency that the haptic feedback stalls as I originally mentioned.

try changing governor. i had similiar issue with playing music when screen was turned off on lulzactive governor. no such probs on any other governor tested...

Upvote 0
Try running a kernel cleaner eg. Gs2blitzer then flash neak or siyah.
Also install betterbatterystats and check your process/wakelock activity.
Install "my data manager" just to make sure nothing untoward is going on with applications accessing the internet.

Other than that, how are you installing the ROM? As a full wipe?

Also take a look at your running apps when it's on a go slow. You may find it's one app that's causing it, and as your using tb to restore all your apps each time, the problem keeps coming back.

Upvote 0
I am trying Siyah 2.6.13 now and running the SmartassV2 governor.

I do carry out a full wipe before re-installing the ROM. I've explored all of the wakelock/data/cpu usage possibilities already, it's not that the phone grinds to a halt but it seems to be that it "stutters" fairly regularly.

Lets see how the new kernel/governor performs!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones