• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SGS2 with ICE 4.04 upgrade - downgrade?

Hi All,
A couple of weeks ago I did the over the air upgrade from 4.03 to 4.04 on
Optus Australia.
Dang! - I'm being as patient as I can, but I don't think I like it.

I now have the "sleep of death" again - about once every day - and my beloved Gmail label notifier app continuously hangs up so I've had to unistall it.

Anybody else with problems?
Any ideas?

BTW, the quick list of my installed apps is-

Screen Filter
Galaxy Torch
Google Drive
Google +
MapMyRide
GPSLogger
SBMX
Calculator++
Astro File Manager
Strava Cycling
Fish Bowl Photo
CamCard
Weather Australia
JuiceDefender Plus
BeyondPod
Documents To Go
Calengoo

I reinstalled all of these from scratch after the upgrade.
Any potential problems there?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of OTA updates as they are easy to corrupt in the download stage, particularly if you are not using Wi-Fi.

I am not saying that this is the cause of your problems but it is a known issue.

Post #1, here, explains other ways to resolve ICS update problems.

You could download and manually re-flash your firmware using Odin as described in post #1, here, under the heading, "My firmware is not eligible for ICS yet but I want it now!".

Upvote 0
Thanks ironass,
I did do the factory reset and reinstalled all the apps manually to make sure the were compatible.

I did some googling after posting and found a few people implying that SOD was associated with wifi.
I uninstalled JuiceDefender Plus and haven't had another SOD event.
I also uninstalled the Gmail labeller which is a bit of a shame - I paid a dollar for that too :-(
Everything else seems good.

Upvote 0
I uninstalled JuiceDefender Plus and haven't had another SOD event.

I'm beginning to see a pattern forming with the use of Juice Defender. Weirdly, you are the 5th or 6th person in a week that has commented that uninstalling Juice Defender solved their problems.

I have never been a fan of this app, or any task killer, as in my experience they cause more problems than they solve and use more battery as forcefully closing down app's and processes in Android is counter productive.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones