Shameful! GalaxyS 2.2 hangs even on standby!Support

Last Updated:

1. goyal.sanchit

goyal.sanchit Well-Known Member

Hello everyone

This thread is result of total frustration!

Now it has happened atleast 2 times that I am surfing net and Galaxy S is lying nearby sleeping. No process running, screen turned off, no sms or call notification.

Suddenly it starts to vibrate and I check the phone to find out that somehow it "hanged" and the phone restarts itself!!

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!

Advertisement
  2. justiyad

justiyad Well-Known Member

Try doing a factory reset, I had same issue when upgrading from 2.1 to 2.2, but after doing the reset it is working great.
  3. goyal.sanchit

I had done a factory reset after upgrading to Froyo. I wonder if doing that again would be beneficial.
  4. justiyad

justiyad Well-Known Member

I would do one more factory reset and try not to install any apps and see how the phones function, it might be an app issue.
  5. goyal.sanchit

Hmmm....I might try doing that and see how it goes. Though I am not too optimistic about it but no harm in trying (except of wastage of time)
  6. Capt Galaxy

Capt Galaxy Member

you ever dropped your phone mate?
  7. goyal.sanchit

Nope it has been safe in my hands till now. :) Hope it remains like that!
  8. sdick3

sdick3 New Member

I have the same problem. I never tried 2.1 as I just bought the phone and updated it before loading any data. But it just hangs in any number of applications or when in standby. Come back to the phone and it is a brick. Have to reboot.

I just tried a factory reset and only configured WiFi and my Exchange Connection. I have reset it twice in the last 2 hours.

The software promises so much as the functionality looks sweet (firsttime android user) but it is useless if it wont run for more than an hour. Before the reset, the other issues was battery life. It ran flat over 5 hours of very little use.

Have to return it! But what else can I get? I assume that any Android 2.2 device will have similar issues.
  9. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

Mine did that with the 2.1 rom which shipped with the phone, never done it since I flashed the phone though.

Or maybe it was the lagfix, I don't remember.

No such problems with 2.2.1
  10. tuahogary

tuahogary Well-Known Member

my stock 2.2 also crashes frequently. i'd say it crashes about 3-5 times a day. now, i'm not a businessman so my phone is not that important but i can imagine the frustration for somebody else. i can't believe my android phone can't play music and browse the internet without crashing for example. or when it syncs in the background, my music stutters badly. multitasking FAIL! i love android for what it is but i can't help to think that samsung did a really crappy job with the sgs. right now, i'm just waiting for mwc 2011 so i can choose my next HTC phone! :p
  11. goyal.sanchit

Now I have almost "accepted" the fact that it is bound to crash 2-3 times when I am browsing. And thus I am no longer frustrated when it happens.

Though I seriously miss the browsing experience I had when on stock eclair 2.1.
  12. Capt Galaxy

Capt Galaxy Member

Surprisingly, my phone's a lot SLOWER after i upgraded to 2.2!
  13. rynlpin

rynlpin Well-Known Member

Over time, I gradually got used to the SGS lag and just learnt to deal with it. A few weeks ago, I was forced into a situation where I needed to dial emergency services asap. Typically, my phone hung! I knew all I needed to do was light up the screen as you don't need to unlock the device to access the emergency dialler but it had none of it and refused to work. I felt embarrassed and seriously let down that it took me almost 30 seconds for me to dial 999.

Times like these it's increasingly difficult to defend Samsung and their devices.

[/RantOver]
  14. seanzo

seanzo Member

Since upgrading to 2.2.1 my phone has never noticeably lagged, crashed nor required rebooting once.

Could be I'm one of the mostly silent majority who are having a pretty positive experience with their SGS?
  15. tuahogary

Haha! you were lucky it only took you 30 seconds. Back in the days when I had stock 2.1, I was walking out of a building when I realized I've forgotten to call my mate to come out. My other friend who was beside me asked me to give him a ring so I took out my SGS and tap on the dialer app. 1 minute passed and nothing happened! I was carefully disguising myself as doing something else (like checking a msg) while my friend pestered me to hurry up. Totally embarrassed, I ended up walking back into the building and finding my mate in person to talk. Just before I walked up to him, I glanced at my phone again and sure enough, it is still frozen! It took me less time to walk back and find my mate than to call him on my phone! Effing ridiculous!

I'm running Darkky's 7.5 ROM right now and all I can say is that I have never encountered any of the shitty problems Samsung has put me through over the past few months. I'm beginning to love my phone again
  16. drjamit

drjamit New Member

I bought New SGS on Saturday after selling Nokia N8 (3 months Old ). This new Phone has crashed total of 36 times in 70 hours. My God !!!!!
    is this android OS fault or known probs with SGS. it is running 2.2 and is latest as per kies.
  17. tuahogary

Sorry about that mate, best thing you can do now is install a custom rom from xda developers. Good luck on that. It might seem difficult at first but follow the instructions word by word and you should be safe.
  18. drjamit

drjamit New Member

i will do it only after some time. its too new for me to do these things