Shapewriter gone!General

Last Updated:

1. wooly

wooly Active Member This Topic's Starter

i recently had my phone stolen and i got my replacement today. today just happens to be the day shapewriter was taken off of the market!! i'm screwed is there any way to get this back.. like can someone upload it for download?? anything?

Advertisement
  2. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

Yup, yesterday was the last day.

3. ttamnedlog

ttamnedlog Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's somewhere. But I'm also sure it's illegal to distribute now, so...

I hope they bring it back. I'll pay for it.

4. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

there are ways u could find it on the internet but we can not say bc forum rules

5. alecks2217

alecks2217 Active Member

Swype is in open beta again so you could download that from their website legally. I remember reading something from Shapewriter that made it sound like they will not be returning any time soon. I don't have a source though. If you're fixed on Shapewriter, I'm sure an apk will turn up somewhere. Have you tried the xda developer forum?

6. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member

SW is done, yeah. I seem to remember that they got bought out, so the reason the app isn't ever going to get updated is that they're working on more high-profile and professional applications. Shame, too.

7. Tony N.

Tony N. Well-Known Member

Was shapewriter infringing on patents?

8. upther

upther Well-Known Member

Nuance Communications is pleased to announce that ShapeWriter, Inc. is now part of Nuance. The ShapeWriter continuous touch application has joined Nuance's portfolio of patented text input solutions recognized as the industry's leading predictive text technology. As we bring Shapewriter into the Nuance family, please note that we are suspending downloads of the iPhone, Android and Windows Mobile applications. Please stay tuned to this site for future product updates.

-source

9. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

10. zgeorge

zgeorge New Member

Yes, they've been acquired by Nuance communications, which I think is a good thing, as Nuance makes a killer diction app. Diction is all that shapewriter needed. I got a beta of Swype, but prefer shapewriter. I think shapewriter is more accurate, usually gives better alternative guesses when not, and has auto caps.

11. roninld

roninld Well-Known Member

I was able to add it to my phone this morning via appbrain. I couldn't find it when I did a search through the regular market, but was able to download through appbrain (even though appbrain just redirects you to the market).

Anyway, try this link:
    ShapeWriter Keyboard - Android app on AppBrain

rb3 likes this.
  12. zgeorge

zgeorge New Member

Same here, got my replacement phone yesterday, and sync'd up via appbrain (it was in Myapps list already)

13. wooly

how do i do this through appbrain i clicked "install" but got nothing but like a welcome from appbrain.. its too late for me to still get shapewriter somehow isnt it?

14. varaonaid

varaonaid Well-Known Member

Do you have an AppBrain account? Sign up if you don't and click install (on the shapewriter page) from your computer. Install the AppBrain app from Market then click "sync" then "perform installs". Click on appropriate "update" and "ok" prompts from there.

PistonsFan likes this.
  15. wooly

holy shit! it worked!!! (appbrain) you guys are the best! i'm an idiot i didnt dwnld appbrain to my phone!! thank you guys so much

16. wooly

i downloaded swype because i figured i was screwed.. and i gotta tell ya i really like shapewriter much better than swype. thank God for android forums!

17. hitdog042

hitdog042 Well-Known Member

just get in on the swype beta... every bit as good!!

18. Old Member

Old Member Well-Known Member

I just downloaded and installed shapewriter and HATE it. Not interested at all. SWYPE rocks.

19. red97xj

red97xj Well-Known Member

I agree! I have tried both, SWYPE is way better!

20. ttamnedlog

ttamnedlog Well-Known Member

Swype does auto caps, but otherwise you're right. The fact that Shapewriter is more accurate and gives better guesses just makes it faster. Plus I never liked the way Swype handled double letters and adding words to the dictionary. Sometimes I tap out words that I don't want to save! And you can't even edit Swype's dictionary. :mad:

21. Renko

Renko Active Member

Now the only keyboard on the market which uses this new sliding method is SlideIT. I use it for 3 months and it

22. rb3

rb3 Member

I must be missing something. I have tried both, and I can hardly tell any difference. They both seem really nice. Smooth, good word prediction, way better than tapping... I don't know. It's a toss-up for me.