share eclipse workspace into dropbox between two computers

Last Updated:

1. ev3c

ev3c Member

Hello.

First of all... Happy New Year !

I'm new using eclipse and android sdk.

I Would like to know if it is possible to share the eclipse workspace folder into dropbox to share an eclipse project between 2 computers?

And working with him on both computers but never at same time.

I tried to do a little test and I think it run's ok.
    I have the same eclipse and sdk components in both computers, and also the workspace on dropbox.

The eclipse console send this message when open the project in one or other computer (never both at same time)

[2012-01-02 23:10:17 - com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.internal.project.AndroidManifestHelper] Unable to read D:\MisDoc\Dropbox\workspace\test\AndroidManifest.xml: org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException: El recurso no est

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

We don't get many developers in the Android Lounge, and while we do an area for Android development, I think Eclipse is popular enough (I use it) that maybe you'll get more answers here in our Computers & IT forum.

I don't have the answer, but hopefully someone here does.
  3. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

You might want to look at Git/SVN and sharing your repository via dropbox, or even better putting it on a secure server and use some type of SSL or SSH connection.

As for the warnings, I'd say that it might have something to do with your setups. Eclipse and Android save some preferences in your user folder, and it looks like you are on windows.

The user folder is in C:\Users\(your_user_name)\.android\

I'm not sure if that would be enough to fix it. You'd probably want to be sure you have the same paths on both computers, sdk in same places, same username, etc....

You might want to open and look at the project file too.

hth
  4. ev3c

ev3c Member

Hello.

What is a Git/SVN ? And what recommend you to use ?

Can I change this user folder C:\Users\(your_user_name)\.android\ to the dropbox ?

The project, only a sample "hello world" run's in both computers... I have to try to add a button and some more to test again... I say something...

Thank you !
  5. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Git and SVN are version control software: Revision control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would advise you not change the location of that folder, however I think dropbox will allow you to add folders for it to "sync" -- check in the dropbox program on your PC and see if there is a place to add folders.

You may not have to though, I'm just trying to give you ideas.

I'm not sure what else I can say as I have not used dropbox this way either. Sorry :(
  6. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Well-Known Member

I don't know whether it's possible/practical to accomplish the OP's question, but another potentially simpler approach would be to use remote desktop software. Then there are no concerns about migrating or integrating parallel development environments. UI performance probably won't be very snappy though.
  7. ev3c

ev3c Member

Yes, but then I need to have the computer on to access by my laptop... no?

Thank You !
  8. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Well-Known Member

Yeah you would need to leave it on. It may not be the best solution, I just don't know enough about configuring Eclipse to know what is.