• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Share what you have and have not figured out...

Hi all, loving the new hero!!!!
does anyone know how to close out the browser so when i open it again it goes to my home page instead of what i was looking at.

example: my home page is comcast.
im in best buy .com and i close my browser. later i reopen my browser and its still at best buy...???... is there away to close it and then later reopen it to comcast????

thanks,

Upvote 0
Hi all, loving the new hero!!!!
does anyone know how to close out the browser so when i open it again it goes to my home page instead of what i was looking at.

example: my home page is comcast.
im in best buy .com and i close my browser. later i reopen my browser and its still at best buy...???... is there away to close it and then later reopen it to comcast????

thanks,
You could bookmark it, but as far as I know, it goes back to your last web page viewed.

There is a way to set your homepage, open your browser, hit menu, more, settings, and set your homepage.

Upvote 0
Hi all

Glad to hear you are happy with your purchases! I was following many of you on twitter yesterday. I think that's what I love so much about being a techie - the opening and starting up new stuff.

Anyway, a bit of advice from my experience:

@tattierpub - I have rooted and installed a custom rom on my uk hero which included an app called "spare parts". This can change system font sizes as well as a few other really cool things. Dunno if it's market available, or built into the MCR.

Keyboard: first off, recalibrate. This can help enormously. Second, have a play with touchpal and some of the other keyboards available on the market.

I MUCH prefer ymail to gmail, and the onboard gmail app is not the best. I prefer the htc mail app much better, but it doesn't support the push and sync with gmail or ymail. Shame

If you want to try another mail app, there's K9 email in the market.

I recommend meebo (IM) - Astro (file manager) - photostich (for landscape stuff) - xgalaga (game) - video player (self explanatory) - Battery widget (doubles as a way to toggle gps, wi-fi and bt) - 3g watchdog (brilliant for keeping track of data usage) - layar (cool show-off app) - mymaps editor (shows your personalised google map locations) - ringdroid (childsplay to make you own tones)

I don't have many apps to be honest - I like to keep my hero clean.

Upvote 0
Has anyone found a way to sort exchange contacts by first name?

I'll answer my own question... The exchange contacts are sorted and displayed by the "File As" field in Outlook. All you need to do is go into outlook and set it there.

Another important find I've made related to contacts is that you can hide duplicate Exchange and Google contacts by setting which source should supersede the other. Do that from the "All" contacts list by hitting Menu -> View and setting the option at the bottom.

Upvote 0
Trick202 I don't think we can root the Hero because of the Sense UI, that's rumor I hear anyway. I'm not going to be the first to give it a shot. So I'll just have to get used to carrying my glasses or wearing one contact regularly.

I have everything from Google so, I'll stay with G-mail.

I did recalibrate and now I'm doing much better. Though I have to learn not to rely on the predictive text so much, it's been wrong a time or two, have to slow it down.

Upvote 0
Trick202 I don't think we can root the Hero because of the Sense UI, that's rumor I hear anyway. I'm not going to be the first to give it a shot. So I'll just have to get used to carrying my glasses or wearing one contact regularly.

I did recalibrate and now I'm doing much better. Though I have to learn not to rely on the predictive text so much, it's been wrong a time or two, have to slow it down.

Upvote 0

Its not clear if you can root the Sprint Hero at the moment. Its got nothing to do with Sense UI. Root is more or less the act of gaining root access more or less giving you admin rights (superuser?).

You cant flash the ROM with 1.5 (not that you would) without breaking your phone. No CDMA support. 1.6 addresses that, but you'd lose HTSs Sense, unless you can find an illegal version somewhere. Im assuming that the support for CDMA in 1.6 would work with our phones, but there isnt any proof of that either.

Upvote 0
Its not clear if you can root the Sprint Hero at the moment. Its got nothing to do with Sense UI. Root is more or less the act of gaining root access more or less giving you admin rights (superuser?).

ps... EVERYONE says "superuser"

in unix/linux/etc the command is su - which came from "switch" user --- switch your login to ANY user (including root)

anyway.. useless bit of trivia for y'all - i just had to get that out of my system

Upvote 0
I am using the small Sense UI clock widget and it is convinced that it is 7 PM. It's 2pm people. I can't figure out how to fix it.
LOL Yesterday, I threw big analog clock in the trash and put it back. After that, it kept giving me the weather for Kansas City and not Chicago, or any other area I was in.

You could try switching scenes to see if that kick starts it into finding the correct time.

ps... EVERYONE says "superuser"

in unix/linux/etc the command is su - which came from "switch" user --- switch your login to ANY user (including root)

anyway.. useless bit of trivia for y'all - i just had to get that out of my system
Thanks for the pro tip. I thought it was superuser, but my Linux experience isnt up to par with what it really should be. Which explains why I put the ? behind it.

The admin rights part was more for the non geek/techy types that may not know what a superuser is.

Upvote 0
I am using the small Sense UI clock widget and it is convinced that it is 7 PM. It's 2pm people. I can't figure out how to fix it.

i would delete it (press-and-hold - take it to the trash) then add it again (press and hold on an empty place, add HTC widget - pick the one you want)

see if that helps

Upvote 0
i would delete it (press-and-hold - take it to the trash) then add it again (press and hold on an empty place, add HTC widget - pick the one you want)

see if that helps

Did this and had a long conversation with Edaze55 on Gtalk about it. Ended up not using the "current city" setting and changed the city to Tulsa, OK. Took off the city tag as to not have two cities on the screen, and it work for now. Guess "current city" is not pulling the right time for Owasso, OK. It's not like I live in the middle of nowhere.

Upvote 0
Did this and had a long conversation with Edaze55 on Gtalk about it. Ended up not using the "current city" setting and changed the city to Tulsa, OK. Took off the city tag as to not have two cities on the screen, and it work for now. Guess "current city" is not pulling the right time for Owasso, OK. It's not like I live in the middle of nowhere.
I have the same issue only when I use Houston it shows up as Kansas City, when I use current city it shows up ok

Upvote 0
Thanks to Edaze55 again for figuring this one out.

Voice dialing! Hold down the green phone key for a couple seconds and release. Speak!

This one too, and it may have been posted already. Double-click "menu" to bypass the lockscreen. :eek: This is amazing.

The last one is by far my favorite. There are times I just dont want to mess with the slide part to get to my phone. This skips right over that. Of course there are times when I want to see my lock screen, and who could blame me.

Locked.png

Upvote 0
I can't figure out how to change the default action for contacting people in my HTC People Widget. When I go into my favorites...and long press the person it says "Change Default Action"...so I click on that...but the only option it gives me is: "call other". There is no option for SMS, or EMAIL...or anything else...

can anyone help??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones