Sharing a contact as a QR Code?Support

Last Updated: 2012-12-05 05:35:21
  1. tommygun

tommygun Active Member

Hi there,

I've recently noticed that on both the HTC Magic (aka MyTouch) and Samsung Galaxy S it's possible to share contacts details via QR Codes.

Both the aforementioned smartphones had the latest Barcode Scanner (by ZXing Software) installed. It's simply a matter of going into the address book, hit the menu button and select the "share contact as barcode". As a result, a fullscreen QRCode is displayed containing all the relevant details of the selected contact, ready to be scanned and saved by another smartphone.

Very cool.

Now, why can't my Desire do the same?

I have Barcode Scanner 3.51 installed, but the "share as barcode" options is nowhere to be found in my address book/contacts list.

The only workaround I found is to share contacts directly from inside B.S., but (other than being slower) this method shows non-grouped contacts which is a PITA.

Is this a Sense-related matter?

What about yours?

Any hint?

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement
  2. eviled

eviled New Member

I would like to know the same thing. I'm just new to the Desire and HTC in general and would find this feature very useful indeed :rolleyes:
  3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

On Vanilla android (Like I have) I have this option. Doesn't help you but I guess its something htc must have removed.
  4. tommygun

tommygun Active Member

It eludes me why HTC may have actually removed a standard feature with his Sense UI.
    It makes no sense!

(pun intended)
  5. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Well-Known Member

Yep, this is a real PITA. HTC have generally done a great job, but they've screwed up here. QR codes are essential bits of smartphone functionality.

Please HTC, do it the standard android way!
  6. Regorsmitz

Regorsmitz New Member

This is a pretty old thread, but nonetheless I thought I'd post because it's relevant. I've just put out a free app for sharing one's own contact via a QR code, called SuperEasy Contact Sharing. If that's what you're trying to accomplish it might make the process slightly less of a PITA.

It's available at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pipsqueaksoftware.secs