1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Sharing files over wifi with Windows 7 PC

1. Skizzy

Skizzy New Member

My main desktop at home is running Windows 7 Ultimate. I have another desktop running Win XP. I have a wifi network (homegroup) setup that is pw protected.

On my newly purchased Droid 2 placed on my network I found that I can use the "file manager" to see local files on the phone as well as "shared files". I see two Servers available, one being the Win XP PC and the other being the Win 7 PC.

I have no problems accessing the files on the Win XP PC however I cannot access the files on the Win 7 PC. Instead I am faced with a "login failure" and am asked for a "username and password". I have no username and password set up on Win 7. Has anyone ever found a method for this. I know there are FTP apps and such but IMO they are a pain. It seems as though this is a built in simple app on the phone already.....just cant get though this final step.:cool: Call me lazy, but sometimes I like to update/xfer files while in the other room watching the game.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

As I know with Win7 you have for your login to set user name and password. Then the Android filemanager will have access to the Win7 share (also with the same user name and password).

Harry
  3. Skizzy

Skizzy New Member

Thats the problem. I have no username/pw for my Win 7 PC. I have no seperate "accounts" set up.
  4. Gekko

Gekko Well-Known Member

IMO use Dropbox. get a referral from someone and get 2.25GB+.
  5. gcobb

gcobb Well-Known Member

You log in a something. Set a password. That's what it wants.