Sharing internet and LAN between Android And PCSupport

Last Updated:

1. diegoesp

diegoesp Member This Topic's Starter

Hi !

Does anyone knows if it's possible to share the LAN connection (and ultimately, Internet connection) with my Droid ?

I mean: When I connect my motorola milestone to my PC via a USB cable, the milestone gets up a mini web server exposing a web site that allows basic control of the phone (SMS). Delving into this, I found the driver opens a new network address space. My Phone is 192.168.1.2 and my PC is 192.168.1.1. I thought it should be easy to share LAN and Internet between my phone and the PC, given the fact that the network connection is established.

Anyone tried that ?

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Moving to Motorola Milestone forum as you may get a better response :)

3. thecrazing

thecrazing Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you're asking. You want to hook the phone, up via USB and browse the web, on the phone, using the PC's connection?

4. diegoesp

you got it RIGHT :)
    This has to be possible. The hard part is there, even the connection via a dummy network card

5. morphemass

morphemass New Member

The year 2000 called and wants its tech back! Seriously, I recall messing about with this on my ipaq way back then.

Why not buy a cheap wireless router and just plug that into your network?

6. diegoesp

Many reasons ! for example, I want to connect to my corporate LAN, and wireless is forbidden @ work for security reasons. I could create an ad-hoc wifi network, but the droid does not allow to access them. I don't want to root my device just for this. I found unnecessary to root my droid, it does almost everything I want.

7. DellyBelly

DellyBelly Well-Known Member

Has nothing at all to do with being old tech; I am traveling right now in latin america without a data SIM and no wireless; being able to connect my phone to the internet through my hotel connection would be a life saver; instead i have only voice calls available on my N1 right now and a fully broadband connection on my laptop.

8. diegoesp

Yep. This is a serious limitation to the milestone. I think I'll play with it these days to see if I'm finally able to get it running

9. wolfsch

wolfsch New Member

diegoesp, I went trough the same considerations and trials without success.
    I also want to access the corporate LAN and fear the trouble with local IT, in case of installing a wireless device.

However, yesterday I came across the idea to use an USB stick with access point features, which is a not too obvious and easily removable wireless device. ( for example, ZyXEL ZyAIR AG-220). Question is, however, if it is a "full" access point, that the Milestone can handle. In addition you will probably need admin rights to install the software. Still hesitate to spend the money, not knowing, if it may work. Anyone with experience in this ?