Shattered Camera LenseSupport

Last Updated:

1. GTSchubert

GTSchubert Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all. Have a quick question that I'm hoping somone could help me with.

I got out of my car the other day and my droid fell to the concrete. My camera lense is completely shattered now. My question is... is this something that verizon (or another third party) can fix or does the whole unit need to be replaced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. GTSchubert

This is just a follow-up just in case anybody else has an issue like mine.

I did not have insurance from Verizon (stupid mistake), and after spending about 3 hours on the phone with VZW tech support, I was referred to Motorola. Apparently Moto has a repair service for for physically damaged devices that costs $75 + tax & ship. If the physical damage cannot be fixed on your unit, they'll ship you back a refurb. I'm currently waiting for my Droid to be sent back.

3. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's the lens that's shattered and not just the piece of glass over it? Keeping the lens clean from dust might be a pain in the ass if you just got that piece of shattered glass out of the way but I'm not sure I'd bother paying $75+ and have to be without a phone for who knows how long.

I'm actually surprised that motorola would ship you a replacement phone for $75 when it was you dropping the phone that caused the damage, not any kind of defect in the device.

4. GTSchubert

While talking to the Moto rep (before I sent the phone to be repaired) they told me that the protective glass has magnifying properties and acts as a secondary lens. That piece of glass is what shattered on my phone. The whole piece of glass eventually fell out. I can tell you that the camera is useless without it. It cannot focus at all.

I was told that the phone would be returned to me in 5-7 business days after they receive it.

As for the replacement costing $75... I was surprised too. However, I have the Moto tech conversation chat transcript. I asked what would happen if they couldn't fix it. They specifically told me that if the phone cannot be repaired, a refurbished unit will be sent in its place.

5. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

That's strange that the glass is an actual optical device. Seems almost like a design flaw. Oh well, good luck with your repair/replacement.

6. GTSchubert

Thanks.