Shattered Rear Nexus 4 GlassGeneral

Last Updated:

1. basictonal

basictonal Member

Hi there

Ive had my Nexus 4 for 9 days and today it accidentally fell from a height of about 1 foot onto a hard surface... the rear was shattered in about 3 places and the bits of glass are only held in place by the original plastic cover that was on the phone from the start that i left on. (the front of the phone is fine and still works OK, including the camera)

Unfortunately I did not have a case/cover etc on it yet as waiting for one from eBay which may have saved it.

What I want to know is (cant find this specific info on internet anywhere) is there anyway i can get this replaced under warranty from Google if I come up with some better story of how it broke?

I read about someone just setting it down onto a cold stone surface in his home and it just shattered from the temperature difference or something like that.

I'm not sure if its covered under my house contents insurance yet but looking into it now - in the meantime i will get a black gel cover to cover up the shattered back glass.

Thanks for reading

2. andrews317

andrews317 Well-Known Member

I am not really sure if there's a story good enough for them to cover warranty on a broken glass, but it is worth the try. You should also pray there's no one from google registered in this forum :D

I've read a few stories like this about the iPhone 4. They have taken the phone to an Apple Store and some have gotten a replacement for free, others for $29.

What to Do When You Crack Your iPhone 4's Back | Apartment Therapy

Maybe you should call google and tell them the truth to know if you can get any help, but don't give your personal information. Say you are someone else who also bought a Nexus (maybe a friend you know who got it). This is in case they won't help you, you can call later and tell "a good story" using your real name.
  3. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

What you are asking is how to commit fraud. :(

My advice, be honest... maybe they'll work with you. There was risk involved with buying the device and using it (and using it without a case). Regardless, when people DO have a legit issue we all hope that Google/LG does the right thing. Don't ruin it by lying about it now.
    EarlyMon and yfan like this.
  4. basictonal

basictonal Member

rang lg via google and sending it back to them for a repair quote, told them it was dropped by accident so google couldnt do anything themselves for me.

its a 26 pounds or so fee to get it inspected then up to me if i want to pay the cost to get it fixed or not.

this is a nice phone but glass on the back is idiotic imo.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  5. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

The phone looks beautiful and such, but i would have to agree, I know so many complained about the iPhone 4 full glass phone.

Sorry about your luck, hopefully it doesn't cost too much :(
  6. welshmike

welshmike New Member

Has anyone had an official quote for a repair from LG? I dont fancy paying
  7. welshmike

welshmike New Member

I've had my nexus 4 for 3 days, when it fell out of my pocket as I got out of a car and hit the tarmac, where this was the result.

8. BrutalUK

BrutalUK Well-Known Member

The front of my N4 looks like that!:(
  9. basictonal

basictonal Member

got the smashed rear glass panel of my nexus replaced for a total of
  10. 104

104 Member

You should be covered if you have an all risk policy.
  11. amk2795

amk2795 Well-Known Member

This is my biggest fear. Will simply a bumper absorb enough shock from a drop to prevent this? Or do I want an all-around TPU?
  12. lacoste_rocker

lacoste_rocker Well-Known Member

I'm using a bumper right now, I'm truly scared that this will happen to me. I baby all of my tech even the cheap stuff. But I do know the risks of owning a fragile phone like this. I just hope this does not happen to me. Especially not knowing how much a replacement would cost me.
  13. Thats

Thats That guy is This VIP Member

That hurts deep down in the soul.
  14. charliecc

charliecc Well-Known Member

If you just pick the glass off the back, what is the material under the glass like. Is it possible to just use the phone with no glass back at all, if it looks half decent that might be an option.
  15. ajm216

ajm216 Member

You could cover it up ;)

16. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

Not sure that using any phone without a back is ever a good idea. Quite apart from all the crud (and moisture) that's going to get in, bits of the internals are likely to get caught on things and ripped out.

I'd bite the bullet and stump up the
  17. blahblahyoutoo

blahblahyoutoo Well-Known Member

What case is that? Looks very nice. Does it add a lot of bulk?
    nm, found the thread.
  18. MT Rotor

MT Rotor Guest

I wonder if the glass can be peeled off the back cover so its just the plastic?
  19. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

I'm using the official bumper and have dropped my phone twice (on the same day), from 2 foot onto laminate and 5 foot onto lino covered concrete.
    Both times the phone hit corner first then back, however the bumper took the hit and both phone and bumper remain unmarked.

I also have a more "rugged" case for use if I'm out drinking / living it up, but I'm very happy with the compromise between protection and looks the bumper offers.
    amk2795 likes this.
  20. 104

104 Member

Just bought a cover and it looks good a 'hybrid flex shield gel skin case' from eBay. I got the grey one.
  21. Shooto

Shooto New Member

22. g_patrick15

g_patrick15 Well-Known Member

$64 USD for mines to be fixed from a similar incident.
  23. Shooto

Shooto New Member

I am awaiting the paperwork from LG.

will let you know the cost when it comes in. Desparate to start using my phone :(
  24. Shooto

Shooto New Member

Got my quote.