• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shattered screen on my rooted Incredible

The same reason people buy expensive cars and only get liability insurance. If you have the money to buy an expensive toy, you have the money to gamble on whether or not you are going to wreck it.

It is worth the gamble for me... I just keep knocking on wood.

(I also only have liability on my vehicle)
Probably need to knock on wood again.

As long as that wood isn't connected to the old tree above your parking spot (TIMBER!!!!!).

Upvote 0
We can trash the I-phone all you want but no way does that phone shatter from one drop. Especially with a case on it.

Humm... I'll be sure to tell my two friends who shattered their iPhones that they were crazy and it's impossible :rolleyes:

Both had cases on them, too.

One had an iFrogz case and put the phone on his lap while driving. Forgot it was there when he got out of the car and it fell out. Only dropped about 3 or 4 feet and it was enough to shatter the screen.

Other friend had a silicone type case on, not sure which one though. Phone was holstered to his hip. While walking through a crowd in DC he got bumped into and knocked his phone off. Phone bounced a few times and when he grabbed it, the screen had 1 long crack from the upper left corner down to the middle of the phone.

Upvote 0
I feel you. I dropped my DInc baby a few weeks ago from knee level to the ground and the glass cracked in the upper right hand corner.... I had insurance for that very reason. I'm so careful with my gadgets but accidents can & do happen especially ones that involve gravity.

I don't want to be shady but have you had your phone for 30days?? You have up to 30days to add insurance. If that's the case add the insurance and wait a week or so to file the claim.

you're basically advising him to commit insurance fraud...nice...

Upvote 0
The insurance on mine would have DOUBLED the effective cost of the phone. Then factor in deductible, and the limitations (get it wet and you're SOL, and it wouldn't cover if it was stolen/lost), it's NOT worth it for me.

It just occurred to me that I don't think anybody mentioned Homeowners or renters insurance. You MIGHT be cover under that. Definitely worth the phone call to check.

get a price quote from Squaretrade and use one of their holiday promotions. I paid $88 for 2 years of insurance on my DInc. DEFINITELY worth it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I did the exact same thing w/o insurance. You need to call HTC. They will direct you to PCD Systems who handles their CDMA devices. I sent mine in and had it back in about 15-20 days. The total cost was $109. Much better than the $400 and you don't have to have a guilty conscience for adding insurance after the fact. :)

I think this might be my best bet. Any idea if I have to remove clockworkmod recovery before I send it in? And how that can be done?

Also, my phone has another issue unrelated to the screen. Any chance Verizon will take it back for warranty for that issue instead?

Upvote 0
I think this might be my best bet. Any idea if I have to remove clockworkmod recovery before I send it in? And how that can be done?

Also, my phone has another issue unrelated to the screen. Any chance Verizon will take it back for warranty for that issue instead?

Probably not now that you broke the screen.

To be honest, if I worked at Verizon and you brought me that phone and tried to say "but I had this lesser problem first" I would laugh you out the door :(

I don't know why you would have to remove the mod for a screen repair, but you could always ask them when you call.

Upvote 0
I really don't understand why some people dont get insurance on a $400+ device.If you can afford a high end phone then you can afford a few extra bucks a month to cover it. Its like the guys who buy high end expensive cars that need premium gas then bitch about the extra cost of premium.

8 dollars a month isn't a "few" extra dollars. And personally I just can't get myself to purchase insurance.. when there is a premium ON TOP of the monthly if the device actually gets broken.. IMHO its complete BS.

Upvote 0

About 6 or 7 years ago , I had my car break down pushed it into a gas station and was trying to call a tow truck my damn phone kept freezzing and shutting off . I was so livid I chucked the phone against a brick wall shattering it into about 15 pieces (yeah not a wise choice)

I picked up all the pieces , put them in a zip lock bag and brought it into Verizon told them what was happened . End of story I walked out of the store with a replacment phone for free and I didn't have insurance

Upvote 0
About 6 or 7 years ago , I had my car break down pushed it into a gas station and was trying to call a tow truck my damn phone kept freezzing and shutting off . I was so livid I chucked the phone against a brick wall shattering it into about 15 pieces (yeah not a wise choice)

I picked up all the pieces , put them in a zip lock bag and brought it into Verizon told them what was happened . End of story I walked out of the store with a replacment phone for free and I didn't have insurance

Hahahaha!

While I don't think it will work for the OP, that is a pretty cool story!

Upvote 0
8 dollars a month isn't a "few" extra dollars. And personally I just can't get myself to purchase insurance.. when there is a premium ON TOP of the monthly if the device actually gets broken.. IMHO its complete BS.

ALL insurance has a deductible. Be it health, car, home, rental, etc.

Insurance is $6.99 a month. That's $88.83 a year. Deductible is $85 on smartphones. So if you break your phone at month 12, your total insurance cost is $168.99.

That's still WAY cheaper than the total cost to replace the phone at $500+.

On top of that, the $88.83 a year is worth it for peice of mind. At least for me. As careful as you think you are, shit happens. Just like the OP found out.

Upvote 0
It says it covers theft on the site. Has anyone had experience putting a claim through on this company though? I've never heard of them.

Bummer about your screen :-(

Get iPhone Insurance and laptop insurance with a Worth Ave Group Insurance Policy

The best deal I've found on phone insurance.. got my Dinc covered for $59/1 year, only a $50 deductible, and covers everything except if you misplace the phone. Good luck!

i too would really like to know if anyone has delt with these guys yet. i didnt go with insurance either, but for this price, thats killer. thanks.

Upvote 0

back 5+ years ago, verizon was great about doing this. My brother spiked a phone after a break-up, got a replacement. I dropped a phone out of a 2nd story window and got a replacement at a store. They used to be very frugal about handing out replacement phones, especially if they were a few years old, etc.

Service reps used to hand me old used phones for free when I'd come in with an issue. Days like those are gone, but I still remember it and it's largely why I haven't switched carriers in years.

Upvote 0
i too would really like to know if anyone has delt with these guys yet. i didnt go with insurance either, but for this price, thats killer. thanks.

I never had insurance on my phones either, until my Eris got destroyed. To replace with a new one.. holy crap, that was going to be over $450!

I found a great deal on a very lightly used Dinc (guy could not use the touch keyboard and went back to his Moto Droid).

Verizon won't let you add insurance to a phone purchased from a third party. I bought the Dinc on a Thursday, and didn't have time to research my options because we were getting ready to do a two day Dave Matthews camping/concert trip...

The VERY NEXT DAY the Dinc ended up head first in a glass of wine. Bag of rice, then completely disassembled and cleaned out, miraculously it eventually came back to life, lucked out there.

At any rate, looking at what Worth offered, it was a no-brainer. SquareTrade, as far as I could discern, is not insurance but an extended warranty. The other companies did not offer as much coverage, and were more expensive.

Worth is very clear about what they will and will not cover (everything except if you lose it), and what you will get if you need to make a claim. Their policy is even available for viewing on line, another thing I did not find with the other companies. So I bit the bullet and went with it.

Hopefully I won't need it, but after destroying one phone and dunking the next, I am not going to take any chances. I just hope they come through if I need to use the insurance!!

Upvote 0
I did the exact same thing w/o insurance. You need to call HTC. They will direct you to PCD Systems who handles their CDMA devices. I sent mine in and had it back in about 15-20 days. The total cost was $109. Much better than the $400 and you don't have to have a guilty conscience for adding insurance after the fact. :)

THIS. I have an immense amount of respect for you based on this comment and I will look forward to your posts in the future. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Hey guys. Very sad news. I dropped my rooted Incredible today and the screen shattered in the top left :(. It had a case on it and everything but it didnt help. I guess it's not gorilla glass afterall. The phone still works and is in perfect condition otherwise, I had babied it until I dropped it today. Phone is rooted and has Clockworkmod Recovery.

Credit card's insurance wont cover it and I dont have verizon's insurance since I'm usually very careful with my tech. I cant afford to buy a new one for $400+. What can I do? Any advice.

Pics of my woe attached.

Pay someone to replace the screen. that is. when screens become available. if ever. I do screen replacements here in my city as side work. it's not difficult. but if we can't order the screens (and we can't) we can't fix em.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones