• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Shattered screen

popflop

Lurker
Nov 28, 2011
Hey guys

Im new to this forum and during the weekend i managed to accidentaly shatter one corner of my phone as it slipped out of my pocket.

My question is what will i need to buy if my insurance wont accept the claim.

Where the screen is shattered the touchscreen works(i.e. I can touch the shattered screen bit and the touchscreen will respond. So does this mean i will need to buy the screen itself or the digitizer?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums! :D

It sounds like you have only broken the screen, however I cannot be sure. It could have done more damage than you think!

Usually your insurance should cover accidental damage - I'd definitely check with them first. It would usually be based on you paying the excess (not sure what that would be though) - could be worth it for peace of mind, as I'd imagine they'd get it done by HTC.

If the insurance won't cover it, you may want to check with HTC to see if they can repair it for you - I believe that usually they would require you to send it in to them and then they'd have a look, let you know how much it costs and then, once you ok it, do the work. Worth noting that any work carried out by them would be covered by a warrantee.

The third option would be to take it to a mobile repair shop on the street, who would probably look at it and then work a price out with you - I would recommend asking them for a quote before you get the work done, so that you don't get stung for a bill that's higher than you thought. This would not usually be covered by the manufacturers warrantee.

The final option is to do the work yourself. I have seen several people on here talking about buying the parts on the internet (eBay, I think... be careful where you buy from though, checking other buyers reviews of the seller - you wouldn't want to end up with non-functioning parts/the wrong parts. I know there are lots of "how to" videos on YouTube and it is possible, dependent on your electronics proficiency to do the work yourself... I'd be careful, unless you know what you're doing. Again - you would not be covered by a warrantee.

Sorry if I've only told you what you already knew but, ultimately, it is your decision. If you want to go down the route of doing it yourself, I am happy to try and find some links for you.

Let us know if your insurance will cover it and, if not, how you want to go from here!

Cheers,
Rob

EDIT - sorry... didn't realise how long this was until I posted it!! :)

Reactions: popflop
Upvote 0
That's quite good of them!!

I believe the Sensation is very similar to the DHD - it's almost identical, but is an upgrade.

Have the insurance company said that you can think about it... if so, try get to a phone shop and have a bit of hands on time with both devices, to see which you think is best.

I don't think that either would disappoint, but you may prefer one over the other!

Reactions: popflop
Upvote 0
Desire S = Downgrade (smaller screen)
Sensation = Upgrade (Dual core, better quality screen, 1080p HD recording)

I know which I'd go for! :p

Didn't realise the Desire S had a smaller screen (not really paid it much attention), but I'd have gone for the Sensation myself too (as I'd said, it's an upgrade on the DHD)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones