1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Shattered Screen...General

1. matt5951

matt5951 Member

Hi all, I had my oops moment this weekend and dropped my Maxx, shattering the screen (I hadn't gotten a protective case as of yet, stupid me). Anyway, everything works and I can still use it, but I'd obviously like to fix this somehow. I did NOT get the verizon insurance plan, so is there another way to replace a screen without buying a new phone? Anyone have to do this yet, or am I the first?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

Oh man does that suck. Something you might try is going through Motorola's website and request a repair. I'm not sure what they charge but it's a start.
  3. lewwill

lewwill Well-Known Member

I would not try a self repair as it would entail separating the front and back side of the case. That could lead to a load of problems. Outatime gives good advice, Moto is the best place for a good repair. I always debate whether or not to get the insurance and/or case and screen protector. Then I think of how much this phone cost me and get all three. The bumper case works great for me. Great phone but even Gorilla Glass will break. Good luck on getting it fixed.
  4. matt5951

matt5951 Member

Thanks for the quick replies...I'm checking with Motorola now regarding price, turnaround time, etc. Once repaired you can be sure that the first thing I buy is a case.

I know you sometimes see those phone repair kiosks in the malls and wondered if anyone has ever gone there, but if Moto is reasonable, I'll probably use them.
  5. redddog

redddog Well-Known Member

Is it me or is this Maxx super fragile?

It's kinda sold as super rugged (with the GG and the Kevlar) but it seems like a 2 ft drop and this thing is shredded.

Is it the weight?
  6. lewwill

lewwill Well-Known Member

I think we have all dropped them at times. it is not that much heavier than my Bionic with extended battery. The bigger screen may be a factor but really it is the luck of the draw (or drop) and how it hits on what kind of surface. A case definitely makes a difference. IMHO it is a very rugged phone but as with most electronic devices they do not fall or swim well.:rolleyes:
  7. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

I think it is a question of (bad) luck.

... Thom
  8. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

It may be that the rigid material is transferring too much force to the glass, shattering it. Maybe we'd be better off if the thing were made of cheap plastic like Samsung Galaxy phones.
  9. matt5951

matt5951 Member

Hey all, looks like motorola charges $175 for a screen replacement, so I have to go that route rather then buy a new one or even used on Ebay (I don't think I'd find one for $200). I really liked how it felt without a case so I held off buying one, but I'll chalk this up to a hard lesson learned!
  10. redddog

Sucks that they can't make a phone that can handle some bumping around. They go to all the touble of making these things incredibly sexy and cool and the very first thing you're required to do is double the size with some bulky plastic case. If the original form factor of the phone were the same as the size with the case, NO NONE would buy it. It would be the laughingstock of the phone universe - even if it were sold as indestructible.

Just a bummer. I really like the feel of this phone naked. But we've seen over and over, this phone (or really any flagship) CAN NOT withstand an impact of any degree without breaking.
  11. Thom

They can sake some bumping around. Not all drops result in a shattering experience. Try looking at some of the drop tests reported on the Internet. It really comes down to how high, what tit it dropped onto, and how did it hit.

I really like the feel with no case and no screen cover. I also got the $99 insurance policy just in case.

... Thom
  12. redddog

So Thom. Are you running nekkid?

I just got a qmadix s series case on it today and I feel like I just turned my MP3 player in for an 8 track.
  13. Thom

Yes.

But to clarify ... I work at a computer most of the day and carry it is in my shirt pocket when I'm running around.

I have friends who are electricians, painters, and plumbers and work out of their trucks. They really need some added protection ... like dropping it when they are up a ladder or on a scaffold.

... Thom
  14. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

That's the same with me. I never use cases. When I'm working around the house at home I leave it on my desk. So it really doesn't have much of a chance to get dinged around.
  15. golfbiz

golfbiz Well-Known Member

Dropped mine yesterday, right on to the concrete from 3 ft, foolishly shaking it to get the camera to activate and it slipped out of my hand...lol!

Have the bumper case and it survived no problem, soon as I saw it in mid air I said "oh sh*t which got a laugh out of my friend with his new iPhone 5s who said great camera app you got there...
  16. 18t

18t Well-Known Member

ive thought about this. whenever i shake the phone i have a solid grasp on three sides.
  17. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

Gorilla glass is scratch resistant, not shatterproof. I have broken many a screen running nekkid. That said, I buy insurance and have since bought an otterbox defender. I work construction, and am constantly jumping off machines, and into excavations... tons of opportunity for me to wreck my phone.

They are very tough, but the shock of a short drop is enough, especially since they use nearly all the real estate on the front for screen. The glass is in very close proximity to the hard as nails kevlar that backs it, and provides little or no shock protection...
  18. matt5951

matt5951 Member

In case anyone cared, or in case someone else breaks their screen, I have a final update. Sent to Motorola and got my phone back in around 10 days, which is faster than I expected. Everything went smoothly except that they sent me a replacement device and not what I sent them (maybe my screen was too far gone?). The bad is that I have to get my phone back to where I had it before, which could take a while. I will however give Motorola their props, as they were fast, answered my questions when I called, and so far I haven't been charged! The receipt says "in warranty", but I'm not sure how that is?

So that's that...happy to have my maxx back, and a case is going on it post haste.
    ArmchairBear and doogald like this.
  19. tpdtopcop

tpdtopcop Well-Known Member

Let us know. Mine shattered and its 149.00 deductible on insurance. If moto replaces under warranty, I'll go that route.
  20. johnwashere

johnwashere Member

A coworker got a droid mini last week and busted his screen too within 2 days of getting it. He dropped it from a few feet away.
    Thanks for the info, I will contact motorola for him.
  21. matt5951

matt5951 Member

tpdtopcop - if you're still monitoring, I still have not been charged, and I've had my phone since monday. They shipped last friday, so I'd think that by now they would have charged my CC, but still nothing.

So, I'm not sure what to advise, but as of now this just looks like a swap of mine for a refurbished one with no charge. I'd hate to see you try that then get dinged for the money.
  22. tpdtopcop

tpdtopcop Well-Known Member

Yes still monitoring.. I would hate to have that happen also..
  23. DarkPower202

DarkPower202 New Member

I just dropped my tablet, the screen shattered.

[​IMG]

Model : ADVAN Vandroid T1J
  24. Thom

Welcome to Android Forums.

Very sorry to hear about your problem.

If you are looking for help with your tablet gfind the forum dedicated to it and post your question there. This is the Motorola Droid Maxx phone forum.

What tablet are you using?

Good luck.

... Thom