• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shazam v1.4 is now a paid version

DHAndroid

Jul 4, 2010
Now that Shazam will charge new users who install after July 13 like it does in other OS platforms, if I save v1.3 the last free version will this work on any device free as long as v1.4 is not installed?

Say I go with a tablet and install v1.3 will it have unlimited tagging?

More or less. To use the latest version with unlimited tagging for free, your Google account must have used the service before July 13th. So if you make a new account, you won't get unlimited tagging.

They might make it so old versions won't work anymore.

I was always curious about that. How does one find out the apps through the google account. Like, could I look it up somehow on my phone or through gmail ? I ask because, like an idiot, i uninstalled it yesterday, but i had it before the 13th, and then reinstalled it today.

I'm confused on how google is linked with the android market, i never understood that part, how does it keep track, etc.. First time android consumer, lol.

Also, another dumb question, heh. When you buy an app from the market, does it show up on your mobile phone bill, or do you just enter in your credit card info, for those specific apps ?

Upvote 0
Now that Shazam will charge new users who install after July 13 like it does in other OS platforms, if I save v1.3 the last free version will this work on any device free as long as v1.4 is not installed?

Say I go with a tablet and install v1.3 will it have unlimited tagging?

Dude get with the times......"soundhound" is WAY better than shazam.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
I was always curious about that. How does one find out the apps through the google account. Like, could I look it up somehow on my phone or through gmail ? I ask because, like an idiot, i uninstalled it yesterday, but i had it before the 13th, and then reinstalled it today.

I'm confused on how google is linked with the android market, i never understood that part, how does it keep track, etc.. First time android consumer, lol.

Also, another dumb question, heh. When you buy an app from the market, does it show up on your mobile phone bill, or do you just enter in your credit card info, for those specific apps ?

You need a gmail account to use the android market so i assume your gmail is linked to the market some how.

To buy apps you need to register your credit/debit card on google checkout so when you buy an app it comes directly off your card.

Upvote 0
Quoted for the truth. I love soundhound.

Might try soundhound, thats a paid app also. 5 tags a month. I use mybackup MyBackup - Android app on AppBrain

to backup installed apps. Once in a while I unzip the created directory and merge it wil another dir on my sdcard in a dire of saved apps. Apps I download from other places are placed in the same dir for future use when I connect it to the computer. The market knows when paid apps are on the phone and have not been paid for, it shows an update which updates the app to the free version. I do not update those apps. I would imagine Shazam 1.3 would do the same on someones phone if it was installed after the deadline and want to update to 1.4 free app and limit to 5 tags a month?

Upvote 0
I don't see what Soundhound has over Shazam. Especially since I would have to pay for Soundhound to get unlimited tagging.

Let me show you the light....

It recognizes a lot more songs
You can whistle the tune
You can hum the tune
It shows the lyrics
It shows the video
You can play the song from soundhound
You can share the song, buy the song, bookmark the song
Shows similar artists

And buy/purchase what???...let me let you in on a little secret...4shared.com look for the apk file ;)

You're welcome, have fun.

Upvote 0
Let me show you the light....

It recognizes a lot more songs
You can whistle the tune
You can hum the tune
It shows the lyrics
It shows the video
You can play the song from soundhound
You can share the song, buy the song, bookmark the song
Shows similar artists

And buy/purchase what???...let me let you in on a little secret...4shared.com look for the apk file ;)

You're welcome, have fun.
>Haven't had a song Shazam hadn't recognized. Though I don't listen to super underground artists.
>Those two are pretty cool, I will not lie. Though I would seldom use it.
>Shazam can do lyrics and the music video in the new version (though I generally don't care about watching music videos on my phone).
> I'll give you that.
> Sharing the song information isn't unique to Soundhound. No music tagging service CAN'T do this.

Where I'm from, warez is usually frowned upon. ;)

I'll look into it. But there really isn't a whole lot that makes me want to go over. All I simply need it for is music identification.

Upvote 0
>Haven't had a song Shazam hadn't recognized. Though I don't listen to super underground artists.
>Those two are pretty cool, I will not lie. Though I would seldom use it.
>Shazam can do lyrics and the music video in the new version (though I generally don't care about watching music videos on my phone).
> I'll give you that.
> Sharing the song information isn't unique to Soundhound. No music tagging service CAN'T do this.

Where I'm from, warez is usually frowned upon. ;)

I'll look into it. But there really isn't a whole lot that makes me want to go over. All I simply need it for is music identification.

But if u need more, is there. Download it, I assure u its better. I use to b a shazam fan boy.

Upvote 0
SoundHound isnt available in my country. I searched it under market and it gave me zero results >=(

Google with keywords soundhound and .apk, download the apk file and install via a file browser. Same with all paid apps.

I am against piracy. IF YOU HAVE PAID APPS, SUPPORT THE DEVELOPERS!

However, until Google brings paid apps to all countries, for some this is the only solution.

I have a question, however - if I reflash (root) my phone, will Shazam still have unlimited tagging? In other words, are you sure its info (about me using the old version) is in my google account and not somewhere on the phone itself? Can I do a wipe of my phone, reinstall Shazam and still have unlimited tags?

Upvote 0
Google with keywords soundhound and .apk, download the apk file and install via a file browser. Same with all paid apps.

I am against piracy. IF YOU HAVE PAID APPS, SUPPORT THE DEVELOPERS!

However, until Google brings paid apps to all countries, for some this is the only solution.

Yep did that yesterday, found it online. Not that i wanna pirate these apps, i would love to buy them to support the developers and keep our open platform alive so the developers will continue making new apps. Hurry up google! Open the market to everyone!

Upvote 0
can someone post the old shazam before the 5 tags a month .apk? i can pull the apk from an old nandroid but i dont want to do all that so if anyone has the shazam 1.3 version please post the .apk. thanks
If you already used Shazam before the cutoff date, you don't need to worry about it, you can still update and get unlimited tagging.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones