1. HUGE Androidforums.com UPDATE! Learn what's new (and download the new app!)
    Dismiss Notice

Sheesh. Nothing like a Hitler salute to show you're part of decent society...

Last Updated:

1. rootabaga

rootabaga Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anders is the psycho that set off a bomb and then went to an island and murdered a bunch of kids.

He's unhappy with his jail accommodations and found a judge to agree with part of his claims, so it's time for an appeal. He shows up for the appeal and proudly does the "Heil Hitler" salute in the courtroom.

I was talking with a coworker about it and he said the guy should be in a pit, one that is so small he can't sit down, so he has to stand all the time. Kind of harsh, I think. :rolleyes:

This story sort of reminded me of Dennis Miller's comment on Charles Manson showing up for his parole hearings...nothing like a swastika gouged in your forehead to demonstrate you're rehabilitated and ready to re-enter society.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/anders-breivik-makes-nazi-salute-rights-appeal-case-n705106

Advertisement
  2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby VIP Member VIP Member

Did they not show the salute in the clip? I've watched it twice now and didn't see it.

3. rootabaga

I may be mistaken, but given the proximity to Germany they may not be allowed to show it.

bcrichster likes this.
  4. LV426

LV426 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Brevik absolutely disgusts me.
    Apparently he's claiming inhumane prison conditions, when in fact the prisons in Norway are among the most comfortable in the world. Check out his cell. He gets a TV, and games console:

brevik.jpg

5. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

His living conditions are still better than 75% of world population.

6. LV426

LV426 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yup, I've seen far worse living conditions.
    Although putting him in a pit is rather extreme, I definitely think that sociopaths like this need to be taken out of society for their whole life. He still has full belief that what he did was somehow right. He's an absolute danger, and needs to remain locked up.

7. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

ok. a small pit is .. a little harsh.
    but that prison.. is way too good for him!

8. rootabaga

From the article:
    I think the issue here is that emphasized word. Many would contend that he is not "human" and therefore has different rights than the rest of "human society."

And at it's core, recognizing all of the arguments on both sides down through the millenia, it's why I'm not opposed to capital punishment.

9. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

killing 77 people in a bomb attack...

why waste more $$ to hold him... set the man free.. to the other side of life!
    so he can answer to the 77 people waiting for him there.

10. rootabaga

The bomb attack is one thing; he killed 8 people and perhaps as a distraction to his greater plan. Yes, that's bad enough.

But what's worse...he then wore a police uniform to an island where he gunned down mostly kids, just picking them off as he went. Cold, calculated, callous, indifferent, unrepentant...as @LV426 notes, thinks what he did was a good thing.

11. badcatz

badcatz Well-Known Member

I think he forfited his human rights when he committed those heinous crimes. If ya can't do the time, don't do the crime!

12. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member VIP Member

Norway is a civilised society, and so will treat him accordingly.

Brevik is an asshole, and so behaves accordingly.

Maybe, given enough time, he'll realise what he is. Maybe he won't. But his punishment is to be treated not as some political warrior but a common criminal, an asshole,... and an irrelevance. And that's what all the Hitler salute stuff is about, trying to be noticed and kid himself that he counts for something.

13. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

If it happened in America, the alt-right would claim the whole thing was a hoax...

...and it would be a heil Trump salute.