Ships bell clock neededGeneral

Last Updated:

1. firefamily5

firefamily5 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm looking for an app...

I want to find an app that plays ships bells on the half-hour...like they did back in my Navy days.

Anybody know of one?

Advertisement
  2. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

OMG, I thought I'd heard everything. Wow, that would sure bring back memories. I guess all that would be needed is a clock app where you can set your own alerts for each half and full hour, but it would need to have a setting for the do-not-disturb hours between 10pm and 6am, huh? I'm game for an app like this too!

3. thefuzz4

thefuzz4 Active Member

Being a Navy vet as well this would be awsome to have as well. I almost forgot all about the bells since I switched over to the Bees half way through my tour. And the Bees dont use bells :)

4. firefamily5

firefamily5 Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so I'm not even going to begin to list the reasons why I can't write my own app....how would someone find a person to make one? I have not been able to locate one already made...

5. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

Well, I think I got something to actually do this, but it was a pain to set it up. I know it was worth it, because the next time I'm in the Exchange or Commissary check-out line and my Hero plays the bells, I know I'm going to get some wonderful embarrassing looks!

The app I used is not yet available in the Market since it's still in beta testing. The app is called Tasker which was part of the recent Google Developer Challenge II. I had to download it from the developers web site and use ASTRO to side load it on my Hero. Tasker allowed me to setup eight different timed events with each recurring every four hours between 0600 and 2200 with each event playing media files with the appropriate bells. I just heard two bells and a single bell sound from my Sprint Hero so it must be 2130 hours, HA!

But, I only used two ships bell media files that I found on the Internet. One with double bells, and one with a single bell. So, I had to set Tasker to play the double bells, wait 1.5 seconds and stop the media file before playing the next bell(s) media file which was a pain. It would have been easier if I could have found all eight different ships bells sounds somewhere.

Anyone game for reveille at 0600 hours???

6. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

You could use an audio editor (I like Cool Edit Pro) to create the 8 different bell patterns from the 2 bell patterns you have (1 bell, 2 bells). Then using Tasker would be simpler.

7. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

I found some one bell through eight bell wav files which I converted to mp3 format which are much easier to use in Tasker. Although, I added a setting to set the media volume to 8 before playing the appropriate bell(s) file since I didn't want them to be too annoying.

I downloaded the wav files from WXTide32 Download.

I just heard 8 bells, must be 0800! :D

8. Pent

Pent Member

9. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

That Tasker Wiki example for Ships Bells isn't going to work correctly. The bells have to play a certain number of bells every four hours. Check out Ship's bell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for what number of bells and pattern of the bells play at what time. That is why I set eight different timed events to go off every four hours to play the appropriate bells.

Tasker Configuration;

Event from 0600 to 2200 repeating every 4 hours plays task 4bells.mp3 if variable %VOLM != (is not) 0.

Event from 0630 to 2200 repeating every 4 hours plays task 5bells.mp3 if variable %VOLM != (is not) 0.

Event from 0700 to 2200 repeating every 4 hours plays task 6bells.mp3 if variable %VOLM != (is not) 0.

Event from 0730 to 2200 repeating every 4 hours plays task 7bells.mp3 if variable %VOLM != (is not) 0.

Event from 0800 to 2200 repeating every 4 hours plays task 8bells.mp3 if variable %VOLM != (is not) 0.

Event from 0830 to 2200 repeating every 4 hours plays task 1bells.mp3 if variable %VOLM != (is not) 0.

Event from 0900 to 2200 repeating every 4 hours plays task 2bells.mp3 if variable %VOLM != (is not) 0.

Event from 0930 to 2200 repeating every 4 hours plays task 3bells.mp3 if variable %VOLM != (is not) 0.

Notice that I also used the %VOLM variable on each event since if I have the volume muted (%VOLM = 0), I didn't want the bells to ring while I'm in a meeting or something.

That is the simple setup, but I tweaked it and added an additional task to each event before playing the specific bellsX.mp3 file to set the media volume %VOLM to 8 if it is not muted (%VOLM=0) because level 15 was a bit too LOUD on my Sprint Hero.

The only problem I had which caused me issues is when I have a native Android alarm is sounding at the same time one of these events is attempting to play the bells, the media player apparently gets confused since it can't play two files at the same time. So, I just changed all my Android alarms to one minute later to resolve the issue.

10. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

UPDATE!

Well, as Tasker evolves (or I evolve using Tasker), so will the simplicity of creating Profiles in Tasker.

I've modified the ShipsBells Profile to just one single Profile vice the 'eight' I previously posted. And, I've added the Reveille bugle call for 0600 hours too by converting this Youtube video to an .MP3 and starting it 10 seconds into the file. YouTube - "First Call"/"Reveille"

And now that Pent has included the ability to import Profiles pointing to his Tasker WiKi page, I hope we'll be able to put the '.tprf' Profile export files there making them available for download.

Here's the single Profile exploiting Pent's boolean '/' (OR) option.

11. Davidthefirst

Davidthefirst New Member

12. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

I created this Tasker WiKi page which includes the sound files and Tasker Profile that you can import into Tasker which I use to play the Ships Bell Sounds.

BTW, I thinking about posting an additional 'treat' on that WiKi page for the FULL 'U.S. Navy Days' effect which does pretty much everything from Ships Bells, Reveille, Boatswain Whistles, Bugle Calls, National Anthem, and Anchors Away... Needless to say it just does lots of nutty stuff for the avid U.S. Navy sailor or retiree in you. I found some original Navy sound files I'm using for that effect here.

13. scumming4

scumming4 New Member

Out of curiosity -- did anyone know if this went anywhere? I'd sure love an app that did this, that's for sure! Maybe even a "Ship's Clock" Widget to go with it that looks like a nautical "porthole" clock.

14. thefuzz4

thefuzz4 Active Member

Ok so I got this setup and running now if I could just find some mp3 files of the actual sweepers sweepers and taps taps lights out then I'll be golden. I also went here http://www.navyband.navy.mil/sounds.shtml and downloaded the true evening colors file then modified the tasker so it plays that file instead and now I'm golden. If you do decide to download the evening colors here is my evening colors profile for this. Enjoy.

<class cl="TaskerData" sr="">
    <class cl="Profile" sr="prof999999">
    <nme>U.S. Navy Days (Evening Colors)</nme>
    <pri>6</pri>
    <mid0>90</mid0>
    <id>999999</id>
    <class cl="TimeContext" sr="con0">
    <fh>19</fh>
    <th>19</th>
    <fm>26</fm>
    <tm>26</tm>
    </class>
    </class>
    <nid>0</nid>
    <class cl="Task" sr="task90">
    <class cl="Action" sr="act2">
    <class cl="StringArg" sr="arg0">
    <val>Tasker Navy Days</val>
    </class>
    <class cl="StringArg" sr="arg1">
    <val>Click to Mute Current Navy Days</val>
    </class>
    <class cl="AppIcon" sr="arg2">
    <icn>2130837556</icn>
    </class>
    <class cl="IntArg" sr="arg3">
    </class>
    <code>523</code>
    <class cl="IntArg" sr="arg4">
    </class>
    </class>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act3">
    <val>NavyDays/BCFirstCall.mp3</val>
    </class>
    <class cl="IntArg" sr="arg1">
    </class>
    <class cl="IntArg" sr="arg2">
    </class>
    <code>445</code>
    </class>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act4">
    <class cl="IntArg" sr="arg0">
    </class>
    <val>7</val>
    </class>
    </class>
    </class>
    <code>30</code>
    </class>
    </class>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act5">
    <op>1</op>
    <lhs>%NAVYDAYS</lhs>
    <rhs>off</rhs>
    <code>137</code>
    </class>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act6">
    <val>NavyDays/First Call.amr</val>
    </class>
    </class>
    </class>
    <code>445</code>
    </class>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act7">
    <op>2</op>
    <lhs>%NAVYDAYS</lhs>
    </class>
    </class>
    <val>5</val>
    </class>
    </class>
    <rhs>off</rhs>
    <code>30</code>
    </class>
    </class>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act8">
    <op>1</op>
    <lhs>%NAVYDAYS</lhs>
    <rhs>off</rhs>
    <code>137</code>
    </class>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act9">
    <val>NavyDays/Attention.mp3</val>
    </class>
    </class>
    </class>
    <code>445</code>
    </class>
    <pri>10</pri>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act10">
    </class>
    <val>8</val>
    </class>
    </class>
    </class>
    <code>30</code>
    </class>
    </class>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act11">
    <op>1</op>
    <lhs>%NAVYDAYS</lhs>
    <rhs>off</rhs>
    <code>137</code>
    </class>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act12">
    <val>NavyDays/NationalAnthem.mp3</val>
    </class>
    </class>
    </class>
    <code>445</code>
    </class>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act13">
    </class>
    <val>19</val>
    </class>
    <val>1</val>
    </class>
    </class>
    <code>30</code>
    </class>
    </class>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act14">
    <op>1</op>
    <lhs>%NAVYDAYS</lhs>
    <rhs>off</rhs>
    <code>137</code>
    </class>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act15">
    <val>NavyDays/BCCarryOn.mp3</val>
    </class>
    </class>
    </class>
    <code>445</code>
    </class>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act16">
    <val>Tasker Navy Days</val>
    </class>
    </class>
    <code>779</code>
    </class>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act17">
    <code>137</code>
    </class>
    <id>90</id>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act0">
    <op>1</op>
    <lhs>%VOLM</lhs>
    <rhs>0</rhs>
    <code>137</code>
    </class>
    <class cl="Action" sr="act1">
    <val>%NAVYDAYS</val>
    </class>
    <code>549</code>
    </class>
    </class>
    </class>

15. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Well-Known Member

There is a new (beta) version of Tasker (1.8). Get Tasker from the Tasker home page and not from the Market. The Market version has limitations and is more expensive(!). In the download area get the 1.8 beta and install as instructed. When you pay, it immediately gets licensed as opposed to the day or so it takes for the Market one.

The 1.8 has a new variable that will look at your Normal/Vibrate/Silent profile and will not ring the bells unless it's on normal. This is in addition to the step that looks at your media volume and if set to 0 stops the bells. Now you can set the schedule to ring the bells on all watches including Midwatch. To stop them just set your phone to vibrate or silent.

Attached is a profile that runs day and night and honors vibrate/silent to silence the bells. The bell MP3 sound files need to be in a folder on your SD card called ShipsBells (not Navy Days).

Enjoy...

Attached Files:

16. trathkopf

trathkopf New Member

I've been working on a ship's bell app, and finally published it on the market. It can ring bells, vibrate, or both, and has quiet hours.

In addition, I'm a tasker user, and added intents that you can call from tasker to turn on or off the sound or the vibration. Maybe when I figure out how, I'll just make it a tasker plugin, instead.

The easiest way to find the app on the market right now is to search for "Rathkopf."

The intents are action intents with a service target:
    org.rathkopf.shipsbells.action.SOUND_ON / SOUND_OFF / VIBRATE_ON / VIBRATE_OFF

Bob Denny likes this.
  17. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

I just stumbled on this thread. What a brlliant idea, and I'm glad it went somewhere.

Got me to thinking about an Army version. It would sure bring back memories...

18. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Well-Known Member

Nice! My son, who is in the Navy, called me today to tell me he found your app! I had told him about doing it with Tasker (see above) and he didn't want it because he thought the sound would annoy his buddies (he's an AT at NAS Oceana). The vibrate feature of yours, however, did it!

He did mention that the bells are a bit unrealistic. You might consider grabbing the MP3 ones pointed from the Tasker wiki article, specifically the zipfile at http://tasker.wikidot.com/local--files/u-s-navy-ships-bells-sounds-every-half-hour/ShipsBells.zip and replacing your resources. Probably should give credit to DaWeav (member here!) for those sounds (or maybe ask to use them, but I can't see any copyright).

19. trathkopf

trathkopf New Member

The chimes included in the app are the same ones I've been using since I first wrote a cron job to do it on my unix box about 20 years ago, and were, at the time, the closest I could find to the sounds made by the clock on my father's mantle. I know they aren't as authentic as the sounds made by a real ship's bell.

I have considered providing an option in a future release to choose which bells to use, but I'm a bit worried that doing so would increase the size of the application quite a bit, with twice as many sound files. Maybe, if the person wants to use the other sounds, it could fetch and install them to the SD card, and fall back to the default sounds if those aren't there. What do you think?

ETA: I'll go the easy route and just add the other bells into the app for now.

20. JesperMilling

JesperMilling New Member

Dear Trathkopf. You got it just rigth! And the chime is fine. Since some sailors just have a chronometer (a clock) down below that chimes in the correct pattern, while other sailors work on larger vessels with a real bronze bell that you can hear miles away on a quiet day. And you gave us both sounds. Great! Thanks! only improvement I can think of, and only because you ask for it, is a chime sound that does not have the white noise between the chimes. I realise you will have to find or record a completely new sound file to remove this noise, and I will enjoy your Ship