• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Sholes 2.0.5 is out!

Just rooted for the 1st time and installed this ROM. So far I'm liking it. Everything seems to be faster.

BUT - Apparently, this ROM removes the Car Dock mode? Is there any way to get that back? I actually use that (as I have a car dock).

Go to SM Updater and re-flash the phone but step carefully through the screen where it gives you the option to disable the stock apps.

Upvote 0
It is accurate. It's the reading from the battery sensor. You don't have to do anything additional.

Now, if you want the CPU temp also, you could flash Tas' kernel. However, you will lose Steve's fixes for a more responsive keyboard and brightness sensor.

I've got Listening on OMAP and AK, so I'm seeing CPU temp. I know the battery reading is accurate, but b/c the CPU temp hasn't changed much and I didn't install or flash anything extra I'm wondering if this CPU reading is accurate.

Upvote 0
It is accurate. It's the reading from the battery sensor. You don't have to do anything additional.

Now, if you want the CPU temp also, you could flash Tas' kernel. However, you will lose Steve's fixes for a more responsive keyboard and brightness sensor.

Also, Sholes' kernel seems to be much more stable, as I've yet to have a FC or reboot at 1.2GHz, while running Tas' at 1.1GHz and browsing for more than 5 mins would always result in a reboot.

Just make sure you have it right in the settings. Uncheck the two boxes under the section "Tasmania_Droid Overdrive Settings". If you don't do this, you will get weird and inaccurate temp reading.

Upvote 0
Out of curiosity, why did the Sholes team feel necessary to take the Car Mode out? I don't get what the benefit is there (other than just adding a bit of xtra free memory maybe).

I would say Sholes is just listening to their followers. There have been a lot of users complaining that they don't like the Car Dock Mode, some with troubles of it being unwantedly activated, etc. So, as a result, they give the OPTION to remove it, just like many of the other less-used apps(Amazon, Corporate Calendar, the stock buggy Email app, etc). None of these HAVE to be removed, as you can just deselect removal of them while installing the ROM.:)

Upvote 0
I would say Sholes is just listening to their followers. There have been a lot of users complaining that they don't like the Car Dock Mode, some with troubles of it being unwantedly activated, etc. So, as a result, they give the OPTION to remove it, just like many of the other less-used apps(Amazon, Corporate Calendar, the stock buggy Email app, etc). None of these HAVE to be removed, as you can just deselect removal of them while installing the ROM.:)

What he said. :)

Select the option to NOT wipe data. I've reflashed a few times with Sholes trying different installation options.

Upvote 0
@ Sitting Duck: Thanks, I'll do that. I take it I can say 'No' when it asks if I want to wipe data?

Out of curiosity, why did the Sholes team feel necessary to take the Car Mode out? I don't get what the benefit is there (other than just adding a bit of xtra free memory maybe).

Keep your data, when you get to the screen with the options to remove corp email, email, etc. I think the option for Car Dock is on that list. Just scroll down and uncheck it.

Upvote 0
anyone having problems with the screen dimming after using SM 2.0.5? my keyboard light isn't coming on either.

Go to Settings > Sound & Display > Brightness. Make sure "automatic brightness" box is checked. And if it is, uncheck it and recheck it.

I use the power widget and even though after installing the new ROM the auto brightness said it was turned on, turns out it wasn't. Toggle on/off fixes it.

Upvote 0
Interestingly, I am able to operate at 1000 MHz no problem on BB, yet, I have to keep it at 800 MHz for Sholes. The ROM is rock solid however. I can boot at 1 GHz and 1.1 GHz but as soon as an app gets processor heavy, I get a reboot.

Just thought that was unusual.

I have bumped mine up to 1.2GHz on sholes and have not seen a reboot yet. It get alot hotter at 1.2 though and I really like to keep my phone lower then 40C

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones