• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Sholes SM Updater

Is there a step-by step guide on how to use this program...some of the prompts are a little scary for first timers. Warnings about "breaking" my recovery mode make me squeamish.

Is this a one-stop-shop for flashing? With all of the complicated instructions out there and terms I have never heard before, I keep thinking I need to do something else first. Can I really just say "yes" to all of the prompts in this program, and have it work great?

SholesMod Updater 2.0.1 Step by Step (Sticky?) - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Upvote 0
worked great on both me and my girls droids. painless and very simple. Will this allow you to put themes on or do you still have to have a home screen replacement app?

There is a program called "Metamorph" on the market for changing themes but it is more complex than the traditional home replacement application - it is not for the weak if heart.

Upvote 0
how do i overclock to 1000 mhz? i installed SM updater and have setcpu but the max for me shows 550 mhz.

It's been said here about 100 (maybe 1000?) times but here we go (again):

Download and run SetCPU

Do NOT pick Droid, set it for Autodetect in the device selection.

Set the max to 1000000
Min to 250000
CPU Governor to ondemand.

You are good to go. Do some searches to get profile recommendations. I would also recommend a program like TempMonitor to monitor processor temp.

Upvote 0
There is a program called "Metamorph" on the market for changing themes but it is more complex than the traditional home replacement application - it is not for the weak if heart.

Thank you i appreciate the quick response. Are there any others. i dont think i want my girl trying to do that one. LOL.. i can see the phone hitting the wall now. hahahaha

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok, so removing the email app does not effect exchange email, sweet......looks like im doing this then, thanks for your help!

edit;I totally miss read your reply lol, so if I keep the email app will effect how the droid works with Sholes?

When you get to the step to delete stock apps, be sure to take your time. It's a bit counter-intuitive because of the double negatives, i.e. yes, you do not want to delete, etc.

If you remove corporate email, you'll need a third party app to access exchange (I believe). I qualify that because I left corporate mail installed and use it. I think removing corporate mail just removes that app, which some people want to do because it can be buggy and lacks certain options. To be safe, I'd leave it and the corporate calendar installed then you can switch back and forth between that and a third party app if you'd like to try some. I'm still looking for the perfect Exchange client myself.

You can always re-run SM Updater, re-flash the ROM and try different options. I've done this a few times on the Sholes ROM's when I encountered problems with removing a stock app (like Facebook) or wanted a different lock screen, etc. Just be sure to select the option to NOT wipe data.

Upvote 0
When you get to the step to delete stock apps, be sure to take your time. It's a bit counter-intuitive because of the double negatives, i.e. yes, you do not want to delete, etc.

If you remove corporate email, you'll need a third party app to access exchange (I believe). I qualify that because I left corporate mail installed and use it. I think removing corporate mail just removes that app, which some people want to do because it can be buggy and lacks certain options. To be safe, I'd leave it and the corporate calendar installed then you can switch back and forth between that and a third party app if you'd like to try some. I'm still looking for the perfect Exchange client myself.

You can always re-run SM Updater, re-flash the ROM and try different options. I've done this a few times on the Sholes ROM's when I encountered problems with removing a stock app (like Facebook) or wanted a different lock screen, etc. Just be sure to select the option to NOT wipe data.

Thanks much clearer now, but are you saying that the email app is buggy with the sholes rom or just buggy with any rom or os, stock or not? Thanks for helping a noob!

Upvote 0
Thanks much clearer now, but are you saying that the email app is buggy with the sholes rom or just buggy with any rom or os, stock or not? Thanks for helping a noob!

I haven't had too much of a problem with it either running stock or on Sholes. It seems basically the same. Without getting too off-topic, the way the stock app handles folders is awkward, only syncs a month of prior emails, sometimes hangs when updating the sent and deleted folders - stuff like that. I don't think Sholes changes anything with corporate email or if it did, I haven't been running it long enough to notice.

Upvote 0
One more piece of advice, read up on rooting in this forum and check out rootyourdroid.info for some background on what this updater does. I flashed ROMS for years on WinMo but rooting on Android is a bit more involved if done the manual way. I was in the process of reading up on the 40 some-odd step method but then took the lazy man's way out when the Sholes updater hit the market. This is actually very easy and some here would say too easy since it lets people screw around at a very basic level on the device perhaps without sufficient background. Having said that, I can only say that my personal experience has been that the Sholes updater is very nice piece of work by these developers and has worked flawlessly for me so far.

Upvote 0
Can sm updater be used to flash non sholes roms

This is a common misconception. SPUpdater does not flash ANY roms. It simply roots, install SPRecovery, downloads a Sholes ROM, then runs a script which tells SPRecovery to flash the Sholes ROM.

But seeing as how it installs SPRecovery for you, you can flash ANY rom, since even users who went through the whole 'root process' manually use the same method to flash all their roms.

So, in a word, yes.

Upvote 0
ok, so i have free and paid apps on my droid obviously. i run this and I loose them all I assume. Will they automatically be re-downloaded when i root? and the ones I paid for do they come back too?

and what are the drawbacks here? I know you have to manually update your apps right? or will it still check for you

Upvote 0
ok, so i have free and paid apps on my droid obviously. i run this and I loose them all I assume. Will they automatically be re-downloaded when i root? and the ones I paid for do they come back too?

and what are the drawbacks here? I know you have to manually update your apps right? or will it still check for you

I am not sure I understand your question. If you use SM Updater all your apps remain right where they are. Make sure you select to keep your settings and you will be just fine. I have not run into any apps that have given me a problem with Sholes.

Upvote 0
I am not sure I understand your question. If you use SM Updater all your apps remain rigjht where they are. Make sure you select to keep your settings and you will be just fine. I have not run into any apps that have given me a problem with Sholes.

nope that answered part of my question for sure. SO the apps will stay. Do you loose any of the normal droid functionality besides OTA

Upvote 0
nope that answered part of my question for sure. SO the apps will stay. Do you loose any of the normal droid functionality besides OTA

I have not found any function loss. There are some programs that come stock on the Droid that you can choose to delete like amazon's mp3 program, corp email) but if you need them, you can keep them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones