• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Sholes to Bugless Beast

Download the BB update.zip, put it on the root of your sdcard

when you do this, is there a way to save the sholes rom, so that i can switch back if i want, or is it necessary to redownload that?

also, for the nandroid restore method that sir vilhelm describes, could someone describe that in a little more detail? is that making a backup after installing bb and then restoring to that backup?

Upvote 0
can I ask a stupid question? what is the advantage of beast over sholes? sholes seems to be running very smooth, with the animated 2.1 ap drawer, now that I've ditched home ++.
it seems a loir of you like beast more, why?

I tried running both, and found beast to be a bit more stable. I also liked the modified theme (darker smoked glass, no blue on the app drawer press) a bit better. Right now, it may just come down to aesthetics and ease of install for most people.

I actually run home++ on top of beast (I love the glass tab look, but I love the power bar functionality even more) and it's been really solid. Pete put in a patcher for the arc-style old lockscreen, which I also love, and sholes has a similar option. I see the whole rom situation as very fluid, as opposed to there being a clear choice. Sholes and BB are both updating about every other day, so who knows when features will crop up on one and not the other. Luckily, it's an easy switch. :D

Upvote 0
Download the BB update.zip, put it on the root of your sdcard

Restart your phone in recovery (hold 'X' while you power it up)

Navigate down to install using volume keys for up/down, camera to select

select allow update.zip

select update.zip

DISCLAIMER: make a nandroid backup first, always!

always more questions from this noob. i followed these instructions, and everything came off without a hitch. first impressions are that everything is smoother, altho i miss some of the custom widgets and ways that sholes set up the home screen, and also all of the app wipe/add features that sholes had, and the fact that bb doesnt come with a native tether app (most of these issues are my own laziness).
another issue that came up is that when i went to setcpu i couldnt increase the max past 550, even after trying to autoselect device and refresh. then, when i went to system info i was surprised to see that it has the hardware listed as sholes.
anyone have any thoughts on either of these things?

Upvote 0
always more questions from this noob. i followed these instructions, and everything came off without a hitch. first impressions are that everything is smoother, altho i miss some of the custom widgets and ways that sholes set up the home screen, and also all of the app wipe/add features that sholes had, and the fact that bb doesnt come with a native tether app (most of these issues are my own laziness).
another issue that came up is that when i went to setcpu i couldnt increase the max past 550, even after trying to autoselect device and refresh. then, when i went to system info i was surprised to see that it has the hardware listed as sholes.
anyone have any thoughts on either of these things?

So are you saying that under about phone it is listing your Build Number as a Sholes build? If so, I would think that somehow you just installed another version of Sholes.

It will wipe your phone, but I do think that the Nandroid backup method is a bit cleaner way to switch ROM's. I was a little miffed, but depending on what you have on your phone, your stuff is generally saved on Googles servers, ie Calendar, Contacts, Gmail, etc. In addition, any app you bought is tied to your hardware and you can re-download it at any time.

The one thing that did stay on my phone when I went from Shules to BB was the wifi tethering. lol

Upvote 0
i should have been more specific. in setpcu under the system info tab the hardware is listed as sholes. maybe this is just because that's what it was when it downloaded. in the phone info menu that you mentioned it is listed as bugless beast.
and now i'm even more confused about the tethering question.
anyone have tips on where to get a good tether app and how to get setpcu to increase the oc?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones