• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SholesMod Updater Problem

deersnypr

Lurker
Feb 16, 2010
I have tried using the SMUPdater, the lastest from sholes.info to put the custom rom on my droid. The droid roots fine, but unfortunately when trying to install the rom, after the confirmation click throughs, i get the following error:

"An error has occured"
mtd: not writing bad block at 0x001e0000

Of note, during the rooting process in recovery mode there was the note:
"E:Can't Open /cache/recovery/command"
But that didn't seem to affect rooting and it just went on past that. If I reset to recovery mode after the root I do see the golden android figure.

I have installed no custom roms prior to this so it's a clean droid. Also if I attempt to do it again without rebooting it just gets stuck in a loop asking if i'm sure I want to flash the custom rom. I'm able to back out of either with no problems and the droid continues to work in what appears to be normal. Any suggestions?

I have unrooted and had a clean/reset droid, redownloaded the updater, and had the same result.

Thanks fellas for any help you can provide.

thank you for your replies

The bad physical memory was my fear... this leads to two additional questions.

Have the recovery flash file needed and know how to do thhat but....

1. Where can I find the sholesmod rom files to install manually? All I saw on sholes.info were links to smupdater?

2. If it is bad memory... and replacement is what I should do... anu suggestions on what to tell motorola to get it replaced?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
I'm not sure where to get the ROM, besides just using SMupdater to download it and then pulling it from your sdcard, I don't use it myself. The 2nd question you have is a really good one, because if you were using the phone the way it is meant to be then you wouldn't have noticed any troubles, and since rooting voids the warranty you can't tell them that. Honestly I don't know what to to tell them, maybe get some dust under the screen and have VZW replace it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones