Short Battery LifeSupport

1. TiminFLA

TiminFLA New Member

Hello Everyone,

I have an EVO 4G from Sprint and it seems that my battery life is very very short. On a full charge I only get approx 5 hours and that is without even making any calls.

I have loaded an app called Advanced Task Killer and it kills the tasks but they just keep comming back. I have also gone to Applications -> Manage Applications and forced stopped some apps that I am not using, but they just keep comming back.

Is this what is distroying my battery life performance, or is it something else?

Any advice would be helpfull.

Thanks
    Tim in Fla

Advertisement
  2. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

Pretty much there is very few things you can do to aliviate battery problems with the evo. With gingerbread my battery lasts substantially longer on standby however hours of work on my phone are around 4 at this point. At weak signal it is less. My first suggestion delete that task killer app because it is doing more harm to your phone than good. If you have not yet update to 2.3 and go to a sprint store on amazon.com and buy yourself the extended 3500 mhamp battery, make sure you get it with the battery door because it is a bit larger. After that go to church or the place where you pray for your religion and pray to god that it will last through a day of work :)
  3. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forums. Yes out of the box the Evo has pretty bad battery life but with a few tweaks you can get desirable battery life. I would head over to this section: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/99223-possible-battery-fix-htc.html and adjust some of your settings. My tweaks are the following:
    I have Always on Data turned off, this turns off 3g when I turn off the display
    Facebook for Sense only Syncs once per day. I have GPS turned off when not in use and WiFi on anytime I am near WiFi. Also I have bluetooth off when not in use. I turned off Friend Stream (it is not needed) as well as Peep. I have display set to around 30%. As someone else pointed out definitely uninstall the Task Killer. You can read more about that here: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-sup...task-killers-must-read-new-android-users.html Also note that 4G is a battery killer so if that is on you can literally watch your battery drain. With all my tweaks I get over 24 hours on battery (That is not 24 hours of screen on use, that is including idle time. Probably about 6 to 7 hours of actual use in there).
  4. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

I disagree wholeheartedly. There are a ton of things you can do to alleviate battery problems. Their is a whole section for it. Now if you have your phone display on non stop with 3g going all day then yes you are going to drain the heck out of it. But I get through an entire day and then some with 6 to 7 hours of actual use (phone calls, texts, web browsing, Google music, app use, app downloads, etc). My biggest saver is WiFi. I use it both at work and at Home and only turn on 4g when I am out and about and need fast internet. When I use 4g and the Hotspot there is nothing that will stop that battery drain though.
  5. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

I had battery problems with my EVO (Froyo) - my battery was down to 20% or so by end of the day with very minimal usage. I then turned off my 4G radio and turned off google chat. (I don't use facebook) - that helped quite a bit - battery was at about 50% by end of day (with moderate usage - starting using the phone more - an hour or two of phone calls, 10 or so txt messages, 3 Email accts syncing-push mail, half an hour or so of games, some web browsing)

Then, I got the extended battery (2600mAH - from Sprint). Now, with the same moderate usage, I only had to recharge my phone every other day.

Now that GB update was pushed out, I've actually moved back to my original battery - it lasts me just as long (I recharge every other day).
    Note: I use wifi most of the time - 3G does reduce my battery life to 1 - 1.5 days.

So, to answer your question, make sure you turn off 4G, and turn off google chat - at least as a control test. If this improves your battery life, then, you know what the drain is.
    P.S. to restate part of what Alextop30 said, get rid of the task killer.
  6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

also for me what seems to help is to use the mobile data toggle switch. it turns your 3g on and off. i only use turn on 3g when i need it. the rest of the time it is off.
  7. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

To say the least we are not in identical situations. I have no WiFi and weak signal. I am aware that this kills my battery life more than usual. Second when I go out to lunch or meeting I have 3g turned on all of the time. If I don't I miss email yes I actually like and need the functions of my phone instead of turning them off and just using them as an old phone that is only used for phone calls and paperweight the other time. In this respect if you want to use most of the functions of your phone my situation is right on the money. The only 2 services I have off mpst of the time are the gps and 4g. I have noticed random gps access and after that whole tracking thing that Google does I like my right to privacy. 4g is completely unavailable in Chicago because the towers are so crowded so it is trash in downtown. Here is a more detailed explanation.
  8. soulnet

soulnet New Member

I agree that it seems silly to buy a smartphone, then disable all the features down to the point of it just being a regular phone so the battery will last the day.

Of course I disable features I rarely use, like gps, but found that getting the larger 3500 mAH battery was a good solution for me. It does make the phone bulkier and heavier, but it's worth it to me to not worry about keeping it tethered to a power outlet or carrying around a dead phone. rarely does it get below 30% by the end of the day (15 or so hours later) and many times it's still above 50-60%