Short Linux timeline - and what if

1. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

2. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

I enjoy alt-history. I enjoy linux. I enjoy this article. ;)

But I like more conclusion jumping... like, what happens when FreeBSD gained support in the early 90's and started to push into the desktop market... Microsoft, feeling the pressure, would release Windows 93, the precursor to the ever popular Windows 96. Unfortunately for Redmond, at this point FreeBSD split into two main branches. These branches were competing with each other (much like the left and right twix), and this feud nearly ends in the collapse of the FreeBSD market.

At this point, Macintosh and Microsoft decide to team up on a joint venture, focusing a few main aspects... Desktop computing for business applications, and supercomputing for graphics software.

This new OS, codenamed Fusion Bear, is released as a desktop and server version. The desktop version, despite the large number of uses is released at a loss. However, each desktop computer sends a few packets a day to the supercomputers running the graphics software to assist in post-processing. This is the first known botnet on the Alternate Internet. The movie is completed, and Toy Saga is released. Much like Toy Story, this movie focuses on the mis-adventures of sentient toys and their quest to conquer the humans who constructed them.

However, after the release of this blockbuster, the public finds out about the botnet computing... and a massive lawsuit the likes of which have never been seen is released upon the public. Microsoft and Apple are banned from working together in the future, and are not even allowed to work in the same field. Apple designs operating system software, Microsoft designs applications.

During this whole debacle however, FreeBSD has stopped feuding with other FreeBSD variants and have joined forces. Open Source software is stronger than ever. It now controls the server market with 90% of the share. The desktop market is splintered between FreeBSD, Oracle and AppleOS. Due to the stock loss of Apple, FreeBSD and Oracle are fighting neck and neck at 40% of the market share, leaving less than 20% for AppleOS.

Jump to the year 2000. Nothing happens, and no one freaks out about Y2K. FreeBSD is now being implemented in appliances to provide internet connectivity throughout households.

;)

Hmm... I spent far too much time on that post.
  3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

BSD did control about 90% of the internet server market in 2k, so that wasn't revisionist at all. :)

And the problem with BSD back in the day was writing device drivers for pc hardware. ;)
    argedion likes this.
  4. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog VIP Member

cool article. nice find.