short on memory?

Last Updated:

1. mkwine

mkwine New Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, So I've had my phone (Droid1) for about 8 or 9 months and I love it. I just recently updated the phone to the 2.2 myself. I wasn't sent it like the rest of the phones. One problem I've ran into is memory. Everyday it says that I'm sort on memory, but I don't have a lot of applications. I have maybe... 8. I've deleted most of them because it says I need room. My question is.. what can I do to get memory back? does rooting help with memory? Should I restart my whole phone, if so, how do i do that? Thank you all.

Matthew.

Advertisement
  2. that guy

that guy Active Member

get a bigger sd card

3. mkwine

Apps cant be saved on the sd card.. I've already moved a couple apps over to the sd card to save room but it didn't seem to help. There has to be a way to get memory on my phone.. I have NOTHING on there..

4. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

What is your available internal phone storage when you go into settings -> sd card & phone storage?

If it's not actually low, I wouldn't worry much about those warnings.

5. mkwine

either way it says that my text messages is full n stuff.. so basically I cant text anyone, download apps, or anything until i make room (delete an app)

6. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

get a cache cleaner
    delete music
    delete txt messages
    delete photos
    delete backup files that something like MyBackup Pro makes if you schedule backups

clearly, if you only have like 8 apps that you downloaded, there is more to this story. I have 100 or so and have nearly 10x the memory you have.

BTW, when I say "delete" I often copy the movable items above to my computer then delete them off the phone

also, something like Astro can show you the actual files on your SD card and see them in terms of size and look at what files/directories are bloated

7. mkwine

how do I move pictures from my phone to my computer

8. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

-attach a USB cable
    -when phone tells you USB is connected then go ahead and mount it
    -drag them off your phone (in whatever directory you have them saved to - most likely sdcard/DCIM/camera) and drop them onto your computer and save them. But your messaging app and other apps can also save images elsewhere.
    -delete the ones off your phone you want to make room (could do this part through the Gallery as well)
    -unmount the phone