• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shortcuts menus to apps in the Droid?

spectrrr

Nov 7, 2009
Boston, MA
I have A LOT of apps on my Droid. Way too many, but that's a subject for another day. Getting to them on the default menu is impossible, its WAAAAAAY to much scrolling.

My home screen space is very limited - the left side is a full screen calendar, and the right side is a nearly full screen task list. The main home screen loses some space to a clock widget, so I end up with only a 4x3 space on my center screen to work with. Given all of the apps I have and all of the functions they do, this doesn't work. I need direct & instant access to at least a dozen things on the home screen, Plus much more a few clicks away.

I have thus far found TWO decently sound organizational options for my Droid, but neither quite do it for me. Hopefully you guys know of another one that I have not yet found....

• Folders on the home screen. Put things in folders.
    • Problems:
      • Despite ability to name folders, Grey folders all look the same, making it harder to quickly grab the one you want when there is a screen full of them.
      • Impossible to nest folders (this feature alone would solve my problems)
      • Folders don't auto close, pressing the home button takes you back to the home screen with the folder still open (yet one more button to hit to close it).

• Great app on the marketplace called "Apps Organizer"
    • Pros:
      • makes a list of all your apps, then lets you assign label(s) to them (like gmail). Then you can create shortcuts on your home screen to a specific label.
      • Lets you select a unique Icon for each label.
    • Problems:
      • When you click on the shortcut to open up that category, the tray of Icons is TINY. Significantly smaller than normal. This makes reading text labels of the apps "legible", but only with good eyesight.
      • No nesting.
      • No shortcuts to gmail labels, direct dial, direct messaging. So those groups of icons all have to go in the folders... the plain grey indistinguishable folders.

• Temporary workaround:
    • Create a folder for gmail labels, direct messaging and calling "folders" on the home screen.
    • Create 1 "reorganized" apps menu folder on the home screen that would link to ALL the apps, organized by labels into 6-8 categories. No more endless scrolling for the "occasional use" app.
    • Create half a dozen labels for HIGH use applications and place those on the home screen for direct access to those categories.

None of the options presented REALLY get the job done... grey indistinguishable folders remain, I still have to launch everything out of the TINY icons and text used by Apps Organizer, direct message, email, calling, labels still needs some work.

Any suggestions? Am I missing any options in the above, or other ideas that would enhance this spit and duct tape organizational system?

I have A LOT of apps on my Droid. Way too many, but that's a subject for another day. Getting to them on the default menu is impossible, its WAAAAAAY to much scrolling.

My home screen space is very limited - the left side is a full screen calendar, and the right side is a nearly full screen task list. The main home screen loses some space to a clock widget, so I end up with only a 4x3 space on my center screen to work with. Given all of the apps I have and all of the functions they do, this doesn't work. I need direct & instant access to at least a dozen things on the home screen, Plus much more a few clicks away.

I have thus far found TWO decently sound organizational options for my Droid, but neither quite do it for me. Hopefully you guys know of another one that I have not yet found....

• Folders on the home screen. Put things in folders.
    • Problems:
      • Despite ability to name folders, Grey folders all look the same, making it harder to quickly grab the one you want when there is a screen full of them.
      • Impossible to nest folders (this feature alone would solve my problems)
      • Folders don't auto close, pressing the home button takes you back to the home screen with the folder still open (yet one more button to hit to close it).

• Great app on the marketplace called "Apps Organizer"
    • Pros:
      • makes a list of all your apps, then lets you assign label(s) to them (like gmail). Then you can create shortcuts on your home screen to a specific label.
      • Lets you select a unique Icon for each label.
    • Problems:
      • When you click on the shortcut to open up that category, the tray of Icons is TINY. Significantly smaller than normal. This makes reading text labels of the apps "legible", but only with good eyesight.
      • No nesting.
      • No shortcuts to gmail labels, direct dial, direct messaging. So those groups of icons all have to go in the folders... the plain grey indistinguishable folders.

• Temporary workaround:
    • Create a folder for gmail labels, direct messaging and calling "folders" on the home screen.
    • Create 1 "reorganized" apps menu folder on the home screen that would link to ALL the apps, organized by labels into 6-8 categories. No more endless scrolling for the "occasional use" app.
    • Create half a dozen labels for HIGH use applications and place those on the home screen for direct access to those categories.

None of the options presented REALLY get the job done... grey indistinguishable folders remain, I still have to launch everything out of the TINY icons and text used by Apps Organizer, direct message, email, calling, labels still needs some work.

Any suggestions? Am I missing any options in the above, or other ideas that would enhance this spit and duct tape organizational system?

I downloaded apps organizer and do not see the issues you mention..read I do not understand..sorry.

I only have one shortcut on the desk top to the apps organizer, I did not know you could create a shortcut for each category. But when I click the apps under each category look virtually the same to when I had them on the home screen.

Now you have me playing on how to get the icons for each category, that would be even sweeter.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones