should calls use 1% battery per minute?

Last Updated:

1. hexon

hexon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've had my phone for a couple weeks now but I don't make too many voice calls. Right now I'm down to 40 percent battery after a day of pretty heavy usage but I've only made a few calls totalling 7 minutes in all. These calls have used 7% of the battery according to the battery usage. I've been in great service areas and I just didn't expect calls to use this much power. Is something wrong or is this normal?

Advertisement
  2. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

Since it's rated at being able to do 390 mins. on a phone call, Id say no 1min does not equal 1%. Granted real world you won't get that spec sheet battery life. But...
    The 7% isn't 7% of your battery drained. It's 7% of the 60% of your battery that's been used. So it's 4.2% of your usage. Meaning it would take 167mins on the phone to drain your battery, which with everything else going on that drains your battery, like the screen, system, autosync, cell radio, blah blah, it's probably about right I'd say.
    But I don't use the phone to make calls all that much either so I couldn't tell you how long the battery lasts on a phone call.

3. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

It can, if you're getting crappy signal. At home once, 45 minutes of calls ate 70% of my battery. Then I got the home access point deal, and now calls barely touch my battery.

So, to sum up, battery usage while on calls varies, but 1% per minute is not impossible.

4. hexon

hexon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK. I came from an LG dare so I'm used to being able to go 5 days without charging my phone. I suppose I'm going to have to get a car charger for this one Haha.

5. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

This is no feature phone. No true connected smart phone will make it 3 days. I had a Q9m and it lasted 5 days but I never even texted on it, no data plan, barely any phone calls.
    I had a Tour and TouchPro2, niether would have made it 2 full days. My friends 1yr old iPhone 3g won't even last him one day.

I'd say your battery life is normal.

6. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

I might be able to go about 36 maybe 48 hours without using my phone much. I usually have wifi, bt and gps turned off and the screen on auto.

But yeah, it's a smartphone, it's gonna chew on your battery, because it does more than just sit there and wait for calls. A car charger is not a bad idea. I'd recommend going to Amazon and getting a Kensington USB plug and a microUSB cable.