Should I 2.2 OTA

Last Updated:

1. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So guys I've been running the original booloader and the leaked 2.2 so I don't have the new kernel or radio. So now that we have a true 2.2 SBF, I was wondering if I should SBF back to 2.1, OTA, root and then flash my nandroid of the current system I'm running so I don't have to reload anything? Or should I just leave it alone. I am concerned that the new Kernel won't let me overclock like I am now (1.35 ghz stable and undervolted). You ideas and comments would be appreciated. I have been wrestling with this for a while now. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

You could always just flash the 2.2 SBF.

3. SimsDelt

2.2 wont upgrade the bootloader or the kernel either I think. It was discussed in an earlier thread that the guy has flashed the sbf and was still on the 3.0.0.1 bootloader.

4. Eryl Flynn

Eryl Flynn Well-Known Member

If we flash the 2.2sbf will that update the radio as well?

5. SimsDelt

And I am correct aren't I that you can upgrade to 2.2 ota and flash a nandroid that I have already made leaked on leaked 2.2 and have no problems right.

6. SimsDelt

I'm pretty sure the sbf is really just the system files sbf. Since it didn't upgrade that guys bootloader im not.sure it.will upgrade the kernel or radio. That'd why I was thinking about doing the 2.1 sbf and then letting the phone OTA. Then root and flash a nandroid after.that.

7. SaurusX

SaurusX Well-Known Member

The "full" SBF out there right now upgrades the radio and kernel. It does not upgrade the bootloader. The system SBF released by P3Droid many moons ago is a different animal than the "full" SBF.

8. SimsDelt

So if I just do the 2.2 sbf so it upgrades the kernel and radio would I be safe to flash a nandrois.that I currently.have? Same 2.2 system so I figure I will be fine. Just want to make sure all my nandroids that I've made on the leaked 2.2 can be used on the 2.2 sbf. And is the upgraded kernel and radio worth the trouble. Or should I leave it alone. Also, if I choose to upgrade but still have the old bootloader. Am I able to use the 2.1 sbf.if.I wanted at a later time because the bootloader would match.

9. dB Zac

dB Zac Well-Known Member

I SBF'd the stock 2.1, then let the 2.2 OTA come down to my phone. I notice no difference in day to day performance or benchmarks (when running the same rom that I had before)

10. ES_23

ES_23 Member

In theory nandroids should work, but when I restored a backup of my setup last week on a replacement DX, I got nothing but forcecloses. However, when I restored a stock deodexed 2.2 nandroid (on the same phone), everything was fine. Point being, if you like what you have now I would keep everything the way it is. At least then you would still have the option of upgrading later if you wanted to.

As far as the bootloader is concerned, if you want the new 30.03, I would 2.1 SBF, then OTA. SBFing straight to 2.2 may hold you back in future updates, as the bootloader version wont upgrade during the 2.2 SBF. Also, the 2.1 SBF wont work after a 2.2 SBF even if you have one of the older bootloaders, trust me I tried lol (it will say "PASS" and complete as though it were done, but will reload back to whatever older bootloader you were on with an errors).

11. brandonmg99

brandonmg99 Well-Known Member

Well shit. I hope you guys are wrong cuz I don't want to back track. From what I read the 2.2 sbf was the same as the OTA. I had the same questions 3 weeks ago and I think everyone told me to just flash the 2.2 instead of going back and doing a manual update. Shit.

12. SimsDelt

So since no one see's a good reason to do the ota. I am just gonna stick with my leaked 2.2. Didn't know if the new kernel and radio in the 2.2 ota was better or not. If it is i'll upgrade. If not im gonna stay where im at.

13. SimsDelt

Well I decided to do it anyway... so I sbf'd back to 2.1... let the upgrade download... upgraded using OTA... then rooted... now I'm flashing my SimplyStunning 1.0 nandroid back... I felt like having the new kernel and radio... hope it helps with reception in the area I'm at sometimes I drop data randomly...

14. SaurusX

SaurusX Well-Known Member

So how'd it turn out? I'm especially interested in whether or not your nandroid created on the leaked 2.2 worked OK on the official 2.2.

15. SimsDelt

Went perfect. Nandroid flashed fine. Im on it now. All total it was about a 1 hour.process starting.from the 2.1 sbf. Heck, longest part was letting the phone download the update.