• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Should I be concerned about the reported reception problems?

nole94

Lurker
Apr 8, 2010
Hello everyone. My contract with AT&T will be up on the 18th and I have been soooo excited to kick them to the curb and get onto a network with decent coverage. I was really looking forward to purchasing an Incredible but I keep reading posts about the poor reception on the phone. For those of you who own the phone already, has this been an issue for you? Should this be a deal breaker for me? From everything I am hearing, the EVO will be out in a month or so, and yes I know Sprints coverage as a whole is not in the same league as Verizons, but where I live it is decent. Should I just wait for the EVO? Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

I'm typing from my incredible right now on 3g and I've had no problems. The only thing I noticed is the normal signal issues with cell phones I.e. being in a concrete buildings, and shopping malls. But when I'm outside I have full bars of 3g almost all of the time in my house I only get 2 bars of 3g, but who cares I have WiFi at the house and Verizons 2g is always on anywhere I am.

Upvote 0
The troll is strong with this one

Perhaps, but he's right. The signal strength issue has been and is being discussed ad nauseum in numerous threads. Do we really need tons of individual threads with people asking if they should be "concerned" about the "problem"?

Yes, the signal bar is inaccurate. No, the signal strength is not bad. Yes, with one bar you will still have good call quality. If you have a Verizon phone that gets reception in a particular place, the Incredible will be able to make and receive calls there as well.

Upvote 0
For those who have offered contstructive info....Thank you!! For the others, all I can say is if you don't like the subject of a thread - DON'T READ IT. I HAVE read as many threads as I could find on the matter and I am still am unclear as to if the problem is a hardware problem that will not be able to be fixed without sending the phone back for replacement or if it is a software problem that can be fixed with an update. (if there even is a real problem). I guess I will just wait a while longer and see if Verizon or HTC addresses the problem directly.

Upvote 0
Should I be concerned about the reported reception problems?
Yes you should. If the bars are not correct, which seems to be the general opinion, that's one thing. But to be in a strong coverage area and show a low signal, to me is a sign of a problem. Viewing the signal under settings, network, I see very poor numbers. -95 to -105. Those numbers border on the ability to make or receive calls.

Even my Eris was better than that in pulling in a good signal. I'm getting a new Inc shipped to me, I'll try one more phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones