Should I be disappointed?

Last Updated:

1. chaoticfury

chaoticfury Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I recently got my HTC Desire. First day Telus had it, I was the first person in the store waiting for it. Had to ditch my milestone for it. So worth it by the way. Here is what I am a bit disappointed in. I found out yesterday that my phone has an SLCD screen instead of the AMOLED I was very much looking forward to. I was searching the web to find out the differences but I decided to come here to get some honest opinions.

The screen looks great but I had my hopes up for the AMOLED. Is there a big difference? Am I missing out on something?

Is my battery life worse because I have lcd? Let me know just so I can put my mind at rest. It's moving at 1000 miles an hour. Should I go back and see if they have any that are AMOLED?

Other than that, the phone is amazing. I am so happy with it. Best phone I could have asked for. Well I would change the color around the screen from brownish purple to something else but who cares. That's just me nitpicking.

Also, I heard it was unwise to use an app killer because it takes more to reopen a program then it does to have it running in the background using minimal resources. Let me know if that is true.

Advertisement
  2. chris 290

chris 290 Well-Known Member

I have an oled screen although not seen the LCD one. Don't think it will help with battery much as screen does not use the majority of power anyway. Android system seems to use the most.

All its adding is better contrast levels really.

Enjoy your desire

chaoticfury likes this.
  3. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

AMOLED and SLCD both have pros and cons. I've not seen both side by side so just conjecture.

AMOLED - more colour saturation, better contrast & wider viewing angles. But less visible in sunlight and uses more battery.

SLCD - Better daylight visibility and better battery life. Possible slight less saturation and contrast (although HTC say the difference is negligable)

If you are happy with the screen does it really make a difference??? ;)

App Killers - IMO dont use, they cause more probelms than they fix. Google have now made it harder for App Killers to do their stuff so thats an opinion straight from the horses mouth!!!

chaoticfury likes this.
  4. chaoticfury

chaoticfury Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the info. At low brightness where I keep my phone to increase my battery life it is still hardly visible in the sun. Especially direct sunlight I can't see a thing. If I put it to full brightness I can see enough to get by. I guess I would prefer the AMOLED but what can I do. Samsung isn't making enough of them.

5. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

6. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member VIP Member

I believe that all Telus Desires are S-TFT.

From your description it doesn't sound like there's a vast difference between your S-TFT and my AMOLED. It's possible that the TFT is slightly sharper, since the AMOLED has an unusual sub-pixel structure ("pen-tile matrix" - google the term and you'll find plenty of discussion), which I'd be surprised if the S-TFT replicated.

I'd say that if you're happy with the look of the screen then don't worry about the technology.