should i be worried about this?

Last Updated:

1. lone_anarchist

lone_anarchist Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so i finally got a male to male cable for the audio port and its now hooked to my computer so i can listen to music in 5.1 surround sound and have BASS!! lol so i fell asleep listening to music on droid live, and i will mention this again but the phone is OC'ed 550-1000 on-demand while charging. and its also rooted and has ultimate droid. so like i was saying, fell alseep at like 3 am. 100% battery, then i woke up at 11:00am, to see my battery temp is at 49C and battery was at 50% so im like oh shit! lol could tell it was running hot when i picked it up. so i turned off the music and everything pulled the charger to it and re plugged it in. So now its about 12:00 and the battery has cooled down to 36c and its sitting at 80% charge. i looked at juicy plotter to see what happened through the night and it looks like basically from 3:30am it started to drop battery power

3:30am-5:03am
    44C 60% charge scr:10/10 chrg AC

6AM
    47C 50% charge scr:10/10 chrg AC

10AM
    49C 50% charge scr:10/10 chrg AC

11AM "pulled from charger and stopped music"
    42C 50% charge radio:APN chrg:AC

11:15 am
    35C 60% charge radio:APN chrg:AC

11:38am
    36C 80% charge scr:10/10 radio:APN chrg AC

12pm
    39C 100% charge scr:10/10 radio:APN chrg:AC

now is this a bad thing or nothing to worry about?

Advertisement
  2. droidftw

droidftw Well-Known Member

Lucky u didn't fry the battery at thaqt temp

3. lone_anarchist

mmm well i think i still have lots of room, the rating temp for the battery is 158F it reached a top of 120F its just did droid live seriously cause that much of a power drain?

4. lone_anarchist

just looked at the profiles again, charging was set to performance "consistant 1ghz the whole time" whoops

5. karmagedon

karmagedon Well-Known Member

on the battery, it states to not expose it to "high temperatures" of 60c, so 49c is close-ish, but not really dangerous. it's really not surprising considering the OP was streaming music for 6 hours.

i think this is really a win for the droid. if you charge with a computer, it's only half the power of a wall, so to only loose 50% power while streaming for that amount of time is pretty great imho. also, my droid gets pretty darn warm when i browse, stream, or download for any real length of time, so again, i call it a win.

so to the OP, i wouldn't worry about it. batteries do better when they get good and toasty. transfer of energy and all. i'm no expert though, so don't take what i type as anything more than an opinion.

6. karmagedon

karmagedon Well-Known Member

the power drain is probably attributed to usb vs wall. he stated (in a later post) that it was oc'ed at a constant 1ghz. that also has a lil to do, but it's mostly usb (imho)

7. lone_anarchist

um it was on the wall charger btw :p to be honesty i dont think i even mentioned it being plugged into a usb lol, but i promise it was wall charging all night long, currently it is now at 100% and holding haha. and there is quite a difference between 49 and 60C also

8. lone_anarchist

and also heat isnt really a good thing in electrical, heat leads to resistance :) resistance slows things down. heat = bad