• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I buy an new android tablet now or wait

I currently have a Nexus 7 that was manufactured by ASUS that is getting close to the end of it's usefulness and would like to know if I should buy a new one now or wait for something better? My problem is this...... The tablet itself only has 16 GB of memory and as upgraded the OS up to Android 5.1.1 the system has become slower and slower to the point where applications seem to freeze and clearing the cache doesn't make things better. I liked the idea of having a device that I could upgrade to the latest OS without having to wait on a vendor to release their version of the OS so I was hoping that an upgraded version of the Nexus 7 would be available but from the internet it appears that any future Nexus 7 tablet is some time off into the future. I can still limp along with my Nexus 7 but I'm wondering if it is worth it? If the time to move forward is now vs. later what model tablet would be the recommended one to buy?

Reactions: psionandy
You can use Wugs Nexus Root Toolkit (NRT) to unlock the bootloader (erases device) and install a custom recovery (TWRP highly recommended). NRT can also root the tablet giving you superuser access to apps that can help inherent issues with the nexus 7.

With the custom recovery you can try Omnirom or Clockworkmod 11, both are lighter than the stock rom and based on Android 4.4.4 which was the best release for the grouper (developer name for the first nexus 7) and stay updated with Android security releases.

NRT can also roll back nexus devices to previous versions of Android, you could flash the tablet back to official Android 4.4.4 and never update it to marshmallow if you so desire, only issue is you miss out on the latest Android security patches.

With root you can remove the cap you don't want from the official firmwares by using Titanium backup and you can run Trimmer which is an app that helps the Nexus 7 run better by cleaning up its internal memory which the nexus 7 hardware has trouble with, and why it gets horribly slow over time.

Wugs Nexus Root Toolkit is very, very easy to use. It pulls together what files you need and makes everything a button click process. Even if you accidentally do something wrong and the tablet won't boot, called "soft bricked", Wugs NRT can restore the factory firmware. The Nexus 7 is incredibly robust and the perfect device to start learning how to flash and mess with Android devices, I have bricked my Nexus 7 32 gig grouper dozens of times and NRT always brought it right back.

Right now I am running a mod called multirom, my grouper runs stock 4.4.4 and Cyanogenmod 11. When the tablet boots it asks me which one I want to run, it's a great mod so you can try many different roms made for the grouper but always have your primary one so you can get work done if needed. Multirom is free and flashable through its app or through recovery.

If you are set on buying a new tablet then do so, in the meantime play around with NRT and new roms, don't be surprised if you keep the tablet a while longer when new life is breathed into it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones