• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I buy this phone? would you buy it again?

TommyMac

Aug 19, 2010
My girlfriend wants my Droid incredible and I'm okay with that. I can go buy another or I can grab an X.

Do you recommend this phone? does it have GPS issues? Can it use google maps with Voice Navigation and lock onto your location?

And is as laggy as I've read?

Lastly has anyone jumped from the Incredible to the X?

Thank you.

I love the X. I do not notice any lag at all and there are no GPS issues. Over the weekend I had a 3 hour car ride during which time I had wireless tether on so that my daughter and wife both had internet on their laptops, I was streaming Slacker over my car's bluetooth, and I had navigation with turn by turn running all at the same time. Everything worked great together.

I also love the battery life. Even with heavy use (anything except wireless tether and Navigation, those kill any battery) I still get around 12 hours, with light use I could go for days.

We also have an app available that will allow you to use the HDMI output for any app, not just the gallery.

If you care about rooting, ROMs, themes, etc the X is a go.

I would highly recommend the X to anyone right now as I feel it is the best smart phone on any network that is available right now. I came from the Droid and before that the iPhone 3GS. This phone blows away anything I have used before.

Upvote 0
Yes I recommend the DX.
No.Not 1 problem with GPS or voice navigation on mine.
The stock launcher has a liitle lag sometimes, but nobody uses it. The 1st thing you do after you power on the DX is download ADW launcher from the market. Lag gone!

I actually prefer LauncherPro Plus for mine. And I use WidgetLocker for my lockscreen and there is little to no lag with it.

Upvote 0
Do you recommend this phone?

Yes.

does it have GPS issues?

I've not had one GPS problem.

Can it use google maps with Voice Navigation and lock onto your location?

Yes.

Well... That's a little more complicated.

No, I'd say it's not laggy. I'd say the stock launcher has a somewhat stuttering animation swiping from screen to screen - some people won't notice it, but anyone who comes from an iPhone certainly will. That's not an actual delay (i.e. lag), it's just dropped frames in an animation.

I'm using Launcher Pro and it has eliminated any stutter.

When using live wallpaper, I find it is not smooth enough for my tastes so I use a static wallpaper.

Upvote 0
I have both and use both personally. Recommend both. They are different due to HTC's Launcher and Moto's Launcher. I like the HTC but got rid of everything Blur on the Moto. Used ADW and Laucher Pro Plus. Deleted ADW and use Launcher Pro personally like it better. I do find the Dinc to be smoother but love the big screen on the X and the fact that it has Swype which I have gotten use to. Like I said I love and recommend both and it is just a matter of your preferences. You won't go wrong with either but if I was only carrying one I probably would choose the Dinc cause I like Sense, I always wanted an Iphone (not anymore since Android and I hate AT@T) and the Dinc has the same basic style and feel as the Iphone but it would be a very difficult decision.

Upvote 0
The x is a great device but I would wait until the fryo update comes out there is still issues with rebooting and freeze up and loosing 3 g on the X. Hopefully fryo fixes these issues I am missing phone calls due to the signal loss.

Who uses a phone for phone calls nowadays? J/k but i have had my phone for 24 hrs and yet to make a call!

Upvote 0
The x is a great device but I would wait until the fryo update comes out there is still issues with rebooting and freeze up and loosing 3 g on the X. Hopefully fryo fixes these issues I am missing phone calls due to the signal loss.

I have froyo on my X, but even without it the X has the best reception of any phone I have ever owned.

Upvote 0
I love mine. I picked it up on launch day, and I really haven't had any problems. (Also, as an fyi, I'm still on 2.1 and haven't upgraded to the leaked 2.2) I think I had to turn off and back on one time because something went screwy, but that is the only problem it has given me. The GPS, though I don't use it often, has worked perfectly fine any time I've tried it. As to the lag question, in my opinion there is a slight lag on the lock screen. I've also noticed it when scrolling through the open applications in the settings directory, but that is really the only lag I typically notice.

And for Gareee, I work at Peachtree Center where Dragoncon takes place. A ton of my co-workers have Iphones and complain that they can't get reception for calls or 3g frequently...and they have window offices, so not like it is some impenetrable bunker. I may even be converting my 'boss' over to Droid soon. Wonder how many I have to convert b4 I get a toaster? :)

Upvote 0
And for Gareee, I work at Peachtree Center where Dragoncon takes place. A ton of my co-workers have Iphones and complain that they can't get reception for calls or 3g frequently...and they have window offices, so not like it is some impenetrable bunker. I may even be converting my 'boss' over to Droid soon. Wonder how many I have to convert b4 I get a toaster? :)

We bought extra batteries because I figured we'd go through them like water constantly searching for signal, but the standard batteries with calls, pic uploads, and facebbok checks hardly tanked them at all.

I think we got typically about 8hours on each phone, and then swapped to the new spares on most days.

Upvote 0
Like most have already said: Yes I recommend it. No GPS issues. Yes it gets a real fast lock onto your location, very accurate. My Droid 1 has no GPS issues and gets an accurate lock too.

Lag.... replace the stock launcher and lock screen and its a better experience as far as lag. Froyo makes scrolling in certain menus better tho. Probably scrolling better overall. (Scrolling in Running Services always stuttered on me until I installed Froyo)

Battery life, with moderate, normal use it can make it thru a work day unless u in a bad reception area. A bad reception area will drain any of these phone's batteries bad. At home, in a better reception area, I can easily make it 1 day and about 3-5 hrs on a single charge. That includes playing some 3D games, browsing the web, file transfers, talking.

Reception on the X is very nice. And yes I would get it again, just for the reception. And I hope Motorola keeps using the Diversity Antennas in their future phones. They will keep a customer in me as long as reception stays as good as the X's.

Upvote 0
My girlfriend wants my Droid incredible and I'm okay with that. I can go buy another or I can grab an X.

Do you recommend this phone? does it have GPS issues? Can it use google maps with Voice Navigation and lock onto your location?

Lastly has anyone jumped from the Incredible to the X?

Thank you.

Yes, I recommend this phone. My friend with a DInc, while very happy with his phone, is kind of jealous of my DX.

Not a single GPS issue. Locks on fast, looks to be spot on. And yes, it can use Google Maps and Navigation, and the turn-by-turn directions seem to work well. You can even layer satellite imagery onto the nav screen, pretty cool looking!

Not "laggy", but some animation stutters, and some apps launch a little slow. But it doesn't bother me. And I just put Launcher Pro on mine, which really does seem to smooth everything up, works very well.

Upvote 0
I have both the X and the Dinc. The X wins in screen size, and that is the trump card for me between the two phones. The Dinc is a smoother UI experience however. I have never had GPS issues with either phone. Yes, google nav finds me easily and quickly. Yes, the stock launcher as some lag. I use ADW launcher with the Sense skin - works almost as smooth as Sense on my Dinc. I don't get good battery life with either phone and they both seem to last about the same amount of time. With my normal usage (heavy), neither phone is likely to make it through an entire day away from a charger. One thinc about the X that bothers me is the low volume from the external speaker. I am getting by with it, but wish it were at least 25% louder. The Inc has a much nicer/louder external speaker. The X is a a great phone overall and there is no current phone I would prefer to have over it at this time. Yes, I would buy again.

Upvote 0
Yes I recommend the DX.
No.Not 1 problem with GPS or voice navigation on mine.
The stock launcher has a liitle lag sometimes, but nobody uses it. The 1st thing you do after you power on the DX is download ADW launcher from the market. Lag gone!
Have you used launcherpro? Does ADW lag as much as launcherpro? I like the added customization with launcherpro but it just lags so much. I'm hoping to find a better launcher or i'll go back to stock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones