Should I/Can I return it?Support

Last Updated:

1. jephdood

jephdood Active Member This Topic's Starter

Had a Palm for the first 28 days of my Sprint contract, and a week ago I traded it in on a Moment. Since then I've noticed a couple of build issues.

First, the slider is noticeably looser than my wife's Moment. When you open it up, there's a bit of give 'forward' and 'back'. I know, being a slider, it's not going to be completely solid, but my wife's doesn't have this movement.

Second, the silver plastic bezel around the front of the phone is slightly warped on one side, jutting out beyond the black portion slightly, and there's a little bit of a gap created as a result between the bezel and the screen where it noticeably curves outward a little and back in. It's not straight.

None of this affects functionality, and I recognize that as phones age, it'll get a little beat up anyway.. but having just bought the darn thing, I wants something built right and looking good.

Would you return it? Can I return it?

Advertisement
  2. Othan1

Othan1 Well-Known Member

They may have given you an un-loved refurb. I'd return it for another.

3. kzoo

kzoo Well-Known Member

Return it. Make sure you get a NEW one!

4. jephdood

Thanks guys. I got it from Radio Shack, and from what I could tell, it was new. But maybe made on a late Friday afternoon before a holiday there in Korea. :)

5. dbelleman

dbelleman Well-Known Member

Sounds Like a refurb to me too. I'd definitely take it back.

6. jephdood

Is there any way at all to tell?

7. dbelleman

dbelleman Well-Known Member

Sometimes and I mean sometimes phones have a decal stating it has been refurbished. try looking under the battery inside. I just received a refurb from the insurance company because I shattered the face on my phone and there is a decal under the battery.

8. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Yes return it. Physical defects are covered under warrnaty!

9. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

If it's refurbished, it will say so in the battery compartment. Not sometimes, 100% of the time. Also, phone refurbs either come bulk in a small box or pouch, or in a plain refurb kit box with accessories. Either way, it won't be packaged in a fancy retail box and you will know it's a refurb when you see it.

To the OP. You bought a device with the expectation that it would be in a new and near perfect condition. It sounds like the unit you got either was missed by QC or was damaged in shipment. You absolutely should demand a *NEW* replacement.

10. jephdood

Okay. Thanks everybody.

These things are pretty minor, really. So I feel like I'm nitpicking. The bezel thing isn't a big deal, but I noticed it. The slider isn't flopping around wildly, but I noticed it also.. and don't want it to get any worse. Especially since my wife's device feels solid by comparison.

I'll bring it in tomorrow. Hopefully they don't give me any crap for being so anal about my phone.

11. billfoster424

billfoster424 New Member

Be sure to let use know what you do and what you find out when you do the exchange.

12. itmike

itmike Well-Known Member

Actually being that phone came from the the shack as they would have you call it now, you couldn't tell if it had been previously owned. I know some stores will call in and get the esn cleared, do a factory reset and viola it goes back in the cage too be sold as new. Good luck getting it exchanged with it being over 30 days since ur ORIGINAL purchase. If they give you grief on the monitors their is a number to the district office, call them and give them hell. Oh and never buy a phone from the shack again, it just causes grief. For further information Radio Shack Sucks They just care about suckering you into a two year contract and could care less about customer service, that is until its time for your upgrade. Back to your issue, if they do actually exchange it, make them show you the seal on the box. Okay if you buy anything from that place inspect it very carefully. They're favorite thing to do in that hell hole is recycle product. If you wonder how I know this, I work for those morons.

maui_babiee likes this.
  13. ChrisPlague

ChrisPlague Well-Known Member

ouch.

The shack has caused numerous headaches for me with the crap they tell customers...

and just like he said in regards to everyone saying there are stickers behind the battery, they are stickers they can be taken off.

If you wanna check if it is a refurb pm me ill tell u how to check.

14. kevinrs

kevinrs Well-Known Member

Actually, most radioshack stores (possibly all radioshack stores) no longer sell refurbished phones, even if they do, they have a different stock number and price, and always have. When a phone gets returned, it gets sent in, and I assume most eventually end up at sprint stores possibly as warranty replacements as refurbs. The only time the store wouldn't send it in is if it was never rung up. In that case the ESN gets cleared. if it's rang up and the customer changes their mind before getting out the door, it has to be sent in.
    The only other reason a box would be open, is if an employee opened it to check it out, it would be rare to find one like that around where I am, since there are so many phones moving. In fact, too many phones are probably being sent in, between customers changing their mind on what phone they want, and things like people setting the pattern lock and messing up and either not knowing the gmail login they set up, or it not working. I've not yet seen a way to get out of it, even with searching online, calling to the phone and pressing home doesn't work, neither the sprint corporate store or the authorized repair store that's not sprint corporate seem to know what to do, so the phone gets exchanged. If anyone knows what the actual solution for this is supposed to be, let me know.

As with any kind of store, there may be some that aren't following the rules, if you know of one, they all should have the district manager's number posted at the counter, if it's not there, they will be in trouble for that too.

As far as headaches caused by people being told the wrong thing, the independent dealers are the worst, they represent themselves as being "Sprint", (not like other wireless dealers which lately seem to have their own brand on the sign before sprint), they seem to think radioshack is the place to send customers of theirs or not who come into their store with a problem, assume that radioshack carries whatever accessory someone asks for that they don't have, and tell the customer in such a strong way that the customer thinks the radioshack employee is lying about not having it, tell people who've screwed up a setting on a phone that they have to go to radioshack and return it(even if not bought at radioshack) etc.

On your phone, as long as there are no signs that you may have damaged it, they will probably do the exchange, just be polite about it, if the employee doesn't think they can do it, have them check with their manager or DM. In the case that the phone has actual damage, like lots of or heavy scratches, or a dent or crack in the screen, or water damage, don't count on it, because the store doesn't want to take back merchandise that will be treated when sent in as a total loss and charged against the store.
    The 30 day thing, people are reluctant to make exceptions after the first time they find that the person they helped out past the 30 days is a serial exchanger, who was on their 4th or so phone, with remorse about phone models, or problems that aren't really a defect etc. then later came in later to do it again and again. These people are part of the reason a model may be out of stock when another customer wants to buy it, they already bought and returned it and it had to be sent in.

So be polite, not rude, explain the issues, have all the paperwork and box just in case. Check out the new one before you leave the store, make sure there's nothing ike that wrong with it, because you can't expect them to be understanding about repeated exchanges beyond a certain point, you will get yourself into that category of "problem customer that keeps costing the store money", which cuts into the manager's pay.

15. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Well-Known Member

If you go to the dialer and press ##786#, then select view, scroll down to status. NO means not a refurb, yes means refurb. You can also see the original activation date at the very bottom. If it is earlier than the date you got your phone, you know you were given a used model.

16. itmike

itmike Well-Known Member

You must have a nice dm. Ours said one time in the first 30 days. If you're second phone doesn't please you. That's just too bad unless you call the number.

EDIT: I know 2 or 3 stores in our area that almost never send back phones. My manager is thinking about starting it also, now they require reciepts with the phones when you rmac them now.

17. jephdood

Just got back..

Since I'm out of the 30 days, no more swappy for me at 'The Shack'. It's now a warranty issue, and they referred me to one of the Sprint stores in my area that has a tech, or they could send it in.. but I'd be without a phone for a couple weeks.

I went to the tech Sprint store and explained the issue, and they didn't seem to think it was *that* loose. I showed them my wife's, and she said hers was "exceptionally stiff" (Thanks, I guess..) and that mine was more 'the norm' for a slider. As for the warpy bezel, she kinda rolled her eyes at that too, and I guess I am piling on with that one.. it's not that bad.

So, I'm going to monitor the slider and see if it gets any worse.. and if it does, they can open it up and have a look-see.

Incidentally, mine is not a refurb. Just assembled by a Samsung trainee, apparently. :)

18. kevinrs

kevinrs Well-Known Member

It was strongly worded at times in memos that returned phones must be sent to rmac, part of it is that it is illegal to sell a used item without disclosing that it is used. That's why the store should have some demo/return labels that are supposed to be put on returns. One time in 30 days is probably due to abuses. Honestly, if a store allows unlimited exchanges for the 30 days, people will use it to try most of the phones out. If the 30 days was to reset with each exchange, some would be sure to exchange their phone every 29 days.